Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Processes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cramie10

cramie10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

I've got a desktop computer, a Medion MT6 running windows xp, and I'm using a wireless adapter to connect to our router which is downstairs.
I've got a couple of questions, one of which I think is a real issue lately with my connection.
My computer's performance is fine, and isn't an issue for me, it's only ever affected when I do something obvious like running an AVG or Ad-aware scan on my computer (I use these 2 in tandem, Ad-Aware for spyware and AVG for everything else). I've got just over a Gig of Ram... I know it's not much but they're old chips and I've ramped things up using the virtual memory paging file size and sorting out some services etc etc.
Anyway my issue number one is something that has been going on pretty much since I've been wirelessly connecting to the router, which is a while. What sometimes happens for no reason I can see, is the strength of my connect drops dramatically. It's not to do with someone else taking up the Bandwidth, because sometimes it happens when just I am online. It seems fairly inexplicable, I don't know whether it's like atmospheric or anything. Normally my connection is, well average. It does everything I want it do and it doesn't just drop for no reason, but when it has these patches of really weak connection it can just drop randomly, and I don't understand why it does it. We have a flat next door and I'm considering checking whether our network is being Hijacked, but it's a lot of effort to go to in order to check it all out. We're fully security protected using a WEP encryption on a 10 digit code, completely unguessable.
Anyway, that's issue number 1. Second Issue is that lately I've been gathering a whole lot of processes and I have no idea what they are. I do frequently check my processes especially when my internet goes slow as it is there just to check if it's avg or anything like that... And so I know what's usually there and what isn't. Recently I've checked and I've got this thing called MSmsgs.exe which came up yesterday, looks like something disguised for MSN but msn is msnmsgs.exe, subtle difference :L. And also just today I've had something called seascape.exe or something like that... I didn't check before I stopped it. Also this thing called MDM.exe. I've checked them all out on bleeping and I'm given the choice about them, but I just don't understand what they're all doing on there out of the blue!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks, Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users