Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently my computer's been freezing when first turned on, a manual restart fixes it.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hello,

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7 32-bit. I always shut it down at night and turn it on every morning. Recently, for the past 3 days so far, it's been freezing in the morning, like as soon as I try to use anything, where only the mouse can move, but clicking on anything just causes it to freeze up too, and I know from experience, as well as testing it again, that when it acts like this, I must manually force a restart by pressing in the restart button, because there's no other way out: ctrl alt del and ctrl alt esc won't work, and I won't be able to access the Restart option myself because of the freezing, and it won't unfreeze even if left alone for 15min. What ends up happening is that it works dandy after a forced restart, so my only guess so far is that my computer recently adapted the behavior of not liking being woke up (I can relate), so it freezes the first time it's turned on, but once I manually restart it, it acts fine, because it's already been turned on and just needed a fresh restart to get going normally. But it's an inconvenience to have to restart the computer every time I turn it on for the first time that day--a forced manual restart, no less--before being able to use it. Is there any reason my computer adapted this behavior recently? My anti-virus, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, may have updated itself a few days ago, when the issue started happening, but I assume that's only a coincidence, not the cause. I don't remember any other software changes (or hardware) recently.

Thanks

Edited by andrewset, 29 October 2010 - 11:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Before shutting down at night unplug from the internet and remove AVG. Boot up in the mourning and see if the problem is still there. If it's gone install MSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

#4 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NMoGQ6ra7AnjGF8IakOoxUN

Thanks Layback Bear, I uninstalled AVG and installed MSE, just in case AVG was causing the issue. I really don't mind which AV I use anyway, as long as it works, so I'll use MSE from now on.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

I can see several issues.

1) You are running low on free disk space: Temporary File Cleaner to remove all your temp files.

2) You have several virtual drives which could be eating away your disk space. I would highly recommend that you remove them all and use your standard CD-ROM.

3) Try disconnecting all your USB Devices and see if it freezes then.

#6 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:20 PM

Wow, the USB situation is actually something I did alter recently, I just didn't expect it to be the cause of something so huge: I attached a 4-port USB Hub *to* a 4-port USB hub and was using all 7 resulting ports. I bet that's what was doing it, since it was a recent change. Here's hoping. I'll run TFC tonight too, just in case, and I removed my virtual drives, which I wasn't using anyway. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much for the very quick and accurate response!

#7 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Yep it looks like one of those things fixed it, and I'm pretty sure it was the USB arrangement. Thanks cryptodan! :huh:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:50 AM

You are welcome, and happy bleeping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users