Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cassette tape to create CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T Edwin

T Edwin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

This old-timer has favorite music on cassette-tapes that I would like to play on these newfangled CD players in these new cars. What's the easiest way to edit my favorites and put them on a CD? I can put them on a CD once they're in my PC.

I did a Search with no luck.

Thanks...

T Edwin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

I don't know what equipment you have, but assuming the bare minimum you can get a patch cable to connect the headphone output of a "Walkman" type player to the audio input (not the microphone input) of your audio card or onboard audio. You can then do just about everything else with Audacity -- record, adjust levels, filter out hiss, split and save tracks, etc. There will be a little bit of a learning curve, but it really is pretty easy and Audacity is free.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:40 AM

How to transfer cassette tape to a CD using Audacity : http://www.nsftools.com/misc/TapeToCD.htm
How to burn WAV files to Audio CD : http://www.ehow.com/how_7149618_burn-wav-files-audio-cd.html

#4 T Edwin

T Edwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Thanks guys.. what about this kit?

Posted Image

Anyone ever heard of this? Hope it's O.K. if I ask...

T. Edwin

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

The Inport package has a couple advantages -- mostly related to the hardware. It does make things a bit simpler by providing well labeled connections and bringing them out where you can reach them. Also, if your computer has cheap onboard audio support the Inport hardware will provide better quality audio -- although almost any audio card would be as good (or better). Basically, it gets pretty good reviews at Amazon and elsewhere.

I've actually used the LP Ripper and LP Recorder programs (that used to ship with Inport) several years ago when I was getting started. Again, they're easy to use, but the free Audacity program is much more powerful and comprehensive. The good news here is that I'm pretty sure you can use Audacity with the Inport hardware -- See the Audacity forum:

http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=27851

So now it's a matter of deciding if the convenience is worth the cost. That's up to you. Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by Capn Easy, 30 October 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#6 T Edwin

T Edwin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thanks Easy!

This INport worked out fantastic! I simply put each selection/song in their own 'sub-album' within the artists album.. that way I can "edit" a CD at will without having to 'select tracks' from a master cassette, etc. And I've found that by "cleaning" the Hum.. that's all I've had to do to make a decent CD from a cassette!

I realize that it may not create the "audio" that you youngbloods can hear/demand.. but for me it's great to have my favorites from the 80's & 90's on a CD!

Thanks again.....

T

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

Youngblood?! :hysterical: Unless you've hit the triple digits I don't think I qualify!

Glad to hear the Inport is working out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users