Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble with XP looking to format my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crp98rs

crp98rs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:48 AM

My PC has been running slowly for a few weeks now. I ran all the virus spyware ect software i had. Preformed disk clean up and defrag and so on. Also backed up everything to an external hard drive. Finally things have gone from bad to worse. The PC is an emachine there is a screen that comes up with there "E" logo and has the options of F2 for the BIOS SETTINGS and F10 for the BOOT MENU. After that a black screen appears at the top there is a message F11 to recover. Typical after that the machine would continue loading and proceed to the WINDOWS LOGO loading screen and so on. know however there is a message that appears in the middle of the black screen that states

"Boot Sector Write !!

VIRUS: Continue(Y/N)?"

No matter what you the machine shuts it self down and just loops. I have tried the F11 recovery and trying to boot from the disks drive with the system recovery disk. I'm pretty lost at this point. I assume i need to format the hard drive and am unsure how to do so with out being able to boot the recovery disk. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is also a work computer so i need to resolve this issue in a timely manor.

Thank You

Cory Pike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crp98rs

crp98rs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

How would i do that from what I'm able to access.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

This is possibly a warning from the BIOS trying to protect your boot sector. You can disable Virus Warning settings of your BIOS and see if yous till get the warning.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Since there is no indication of you attempting to install Windows or rewrite the MBR...before this message began to appear...I think I'd assume that you have malware on that drive.

From what I've seen...most persons who get this error message are trying to overwrite the boot sector via an O/S install...when they report this message.

As for using recovery disks...the manufacturer of the system determines exactly how those work.

If electing the Yes option...results in a loop...I'd be tempted to check the hard drive and/or replace the CMOS battery...and then try the restore to factory defaults options.

Louis

#5 cramie10

cramie10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

I might be tempted to remove the harddrive altogether and boot you're computer from a recovery disk. I don't know whether you have a win xp (or whatever OS) disk but that would be immensely helpful to you. You're sure that you've gone into bios and made the CD drive the PRIMARY boot device? Because otherwise it will only go for the hardrive boot first. I can't understand what that message is about, looks like a typical virus sort of thing. Trojan Comes along... probably with a dropper & downloader, buggers your boot files and registry and then you're done for. That would have to be some virus to override BIOS and stop you booting from disk. That would be something else. It should work to just boot from disk. I mean if that doesn't work you're really looking at getting another harddrive (Depending on whether it's a laptop or desktop, an external harddrive or an internal one respectively) and booting from that. If you have a desktop life could be made easier because you can get a new harddrive, put that one into the primary slot and your messed up one into a secondary one and bobs your uncle.
Never tried any of that with an external harddrive :thumbsup: I'd imagine it'd be rather difficult to do with one of those... I've got a desktop myself so I'm unaware of possibilities of different harddrives etc in a laptop. Maybe you could boot from network or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users