Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro Removal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:35 AM

Okay, now that I have Win 7 installed and running quite nicely, I'd like to remove Windows XP Pro. This is how I did my Win 7 installation, which may explain why I need to do this:

I have a 1 TB HD, which was my C: drive under Windows XP. When I installed Win 7 - not sure if I was going to like it or not - I installed it to my E: drive, which is only a 180 GB drive. After installing most of my apps, I'm beginning to run out of room already. On the old C: drive, I have about a half TB of data that I simply do not want to lose. The simplest thing for me is just to get rid of Win XP from the C: drive, leaving the data intact - I could move the data, I suppose, but that would a royal pain in my tushie.

What I would like to do is simply remove XP from the C: drive, leaving only the data. At this point, I get a dual boot message on startup, asking which OS I want to use. So, the question is, how can I remove Windows XP from the C: drive, and leave the data intact?

Can I just delete the Windows folders from the drive? I'm a bit nervous of that, wondering just what will be left behind that I can't see.

Or, am I going to be forced to move the data around and format the C: drive?

Edited by hamluis, 06 November 2010 - 10:57 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Win 7 ~ Hamluis.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

I would use windows xp to cleanup first, system restore points might be taking up quite a bit of space, 12% of 1000 GB.

Next I would look at program folders, did you install any programs from Win 7 and put them on the TB drive?

Have you moved any important data out of the My Documents folder on the XP install?

Edited by DaChew, 29 October 2010 - 08:18 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

I would use windows xp to cleanup first, system restore points might be taking up quite a bit of space, 12% of 1000 GB.

That much?? Geez...

Next I would look at program folders, did you install any programs from Win 7 and put them on the TB drive?

I've installed some apps, some that I upgraded from the XP versions, some not. The idea, I hope, will be to have pretty much all data on the TB drive, and just the OS and apps on the system drive.

Have you moved any important data out of the My Documents folder on the XP install?

What I call crucial data - personal stuff, financial, work, etc., has been moved to the Win 7 drive. For the rest of it - graphics, renders, etc., I'd like to be able to leave it on the TB drive without having to do a full backup and then restore after removing XP. That's why I wonder if I can actually remove XP without losing the data, or if I'm going to have to do that backup, which will take forever.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 30 October 2010 - 01:40 AM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:02 AM

Turn off system restore in XP?

For the rest of it - graphics, renders, etc., I'd like to be able to leave it on the TB drive without having to do a full backup and then restore after removing XP.

You lost me there?
Chewy

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

You lost me there?

Okay... I have the following that I want to work with:

Drive C - 1 TB, Windows XP Pro, a crapload of applications, and all of my data (some 700 GB, give or take.)

Drive E - 230 GB, Windows 7 Pro, and all of my apps now installed there.

What I want to do, ideally, is remove everything EXCEPT the data from the C drive. I would like to do this without having to actually create a backup of all that data, formatting the drive, and then putting the data back on the drive again. I'm wondering if it's possible to actually remove Windows XP Pro from the C drive without having to reformat the drive.

Can I simply delete all Windows directories, after uninstalling all of the apps? Or do I need to format the drive?

Snowden03.png

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

You should be able to selectively delete non critical stuff from the XP log-on, make sure you move anything of value from the MYDocuments folder, when you are sure you have all that taken care of, you can logon to Win 7 and delete the windows xp and my docs folder on the original drive. The critical boot files for both OS's will remain. You would have to edit the boot.ini from within Win 7 to remove the XP option at bootup.

Your program folder on the XP drive is what I am unsure of, did you use it for any of the Win 7 installed applications?
Chewy

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

You should be able to selectively delete non critical stuff from the XP log-on, make sure you move anything of value from the MYDocuments folder, when you are sure you have all that taken care of, you can logon to Win 7 and delete the windows xp and my docs folder on the original drive. The critical boot files for both OS's will remain. You would have to edit the boot.ini from within Win 7 to remove the XP option at bootup.

Your program folder on the XP drive is what I am unsure of, did you use it for any of the Win 7 installed applications?

I did not. I installed all of my apps under the Win 7 Program Files directory. My idea is to make this drive strictly a system and application drive, and use the 1 TB drive for all of my data files.

Can you give me some direction on how I would edit the boot.ini file? What app would I need to use in order to edit it, and what specific code would I need to change/delete? You can assume that if your instructions are relatively easy to follow, I'll understand them - I'm not a complete n00b, really, I'm not. :huh:

Snowden03.png

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

This is what I would do I remove the Windows XP Drive from the system, then reinstall Windows 7 after a clean format, stick the Windows XP Drive in and copy over the data you want to keep and reformat the XP Drive then keep it for backup.

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

This is what I would do I remove the Windows XP Drive from the system, then reinstall Windows 7 after a clean format, stick the Windows XP Drive in and copy over the data you want to keep and reformat the XP Drive then keep it for backup.

I would do just that, except that there is far more data on the XP drive than I can fit on the Win 7 drive. The idea is to use the small drive only for the OS and apps, and use the 1 TB drive for all of my data. That's why I'd like to be able to simply remove XP from the large drive, leaving the data intact.

If I have to, I'll borrow an external drive to copy the data to, then format the XP drive, and then copy the data back onto the 1 TB drive again. That's just a pain in the butt I'd rather avoid...

Snowden03.png

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:48 AM

You would have to edit the boot configuration to remove Windows XP the steps I outlined would just make it easier.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

If you were doing a dual-boot, then the Win 7 bootloader controls. You can remove XP from the boot order, using Easy BCD.

To remove the XP Windows folder, all you have to do is delete it from your Win 7 install.

At that point...you will have a C: that was a boot partition, but now is merely a storage partition, unbootable and without any O/S.

Louis

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

If you were doing a dual-boot, then the Win 7 bootloader controls. You can remove XP from the boot order, using Easy BCD.

To remove the XP Windows folder, all you have to do is delete it from your Win 7 install.

At that point...you will have a C: that was a boot partition, but now is merely a storage partition, unbootable and without any O/S.

Louis

Each OS is on a separate drive - I'm assuming this doesn't matter? Use Easy BCD to modify the bootloader after I've removed the Windows XP folders from that drive? That would make this a joy! :huh:

Snowden03.png

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

Separate drives don't matter...what matters is the procedures that you used when you installed each...and the boot screen options you are presented with upon booting the system.

If the Win 7 bootloader controls the boot...then you should be presented with two options at boot...one for "older version of Windows" or something similar, one for Win 7. If this is not the case, ignore my comments about using Easy BCD and how to go about your stated objective.

Louis

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Separate drives don't matter...what matters is the procedures that you used when you installed each...and the boot screen options you are presented with upon booting the system.

If the Win 7 bootloader controls the boot...then you should be presented with two options at boot...one for "older version of Windows" or something similar, one for Win 7. If this is not the case, ignore my comments about using Easy BCD and how to go about your stated objective.

Louis

Those are the options I'm given at startup.

As for installation procedures, the XP installation was done years ago, but I assume that I did a simple, standard installation. The Win 7 installation was done on a clean, formatted drive. XP is currently the C: drive, Win 7 is currently the E: drive.

I'll give this a go then. I've uninstalled all applications from the C: drive, so all that's left is Win XP and my data files. I was off a bit in my estimate of necessary storage space - I have 673 GB of data on the C: drive - which is why I prefer to simply figure a way to remove everything except that data from the drive. Too much of a headache to mess around with moving it here and there and back again.

Thank you all for your help - I'll let you know how this goes. :huh:

Snowden03.png

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Posting this from my crappy little 6 year old laptop, because...

I went ahead and got rid of the startup option for which OS to use. Then, I deleted the Win XP folders, all of them. I can no longer boot the computer. The machine runs through the POST process, and then gives this error message:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I've tried all repair options (such as they are - not much help there), from the Windows 7 disk, to no avail. I even tried unplugging the old Win XP drive, plugging in an empty HDD, and doing a clean install of Win 7 on that. Win 7 starts the install, then at the first reboot, I get the same message. If I change the boot order, the Win 7 install begins from scratch again after the first reboot.

What mystifies me is that I've seen reports of this at other places after a google search, and apparently Win 7 doesn't even use NTLDR, so, why is this causing an issue?

All I know is I need help, because I can no longer use my main computer. :huh:

UPDATE: Disregard this post. I unplugged all HDDs, put a clean HDD in, and reinstalled Win 7. Plugged my old Win XP drive (Now just a storage drive) back in, and things seem to be working fine.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 06 November 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users