Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TR/Crypt.Xpack.Gen2

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueSkyDJ

BlueSkyDJ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:11 AM

I have it...and when starting my system (Win XP Pro with SP3 (build 2500.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636:Service Pack 3)) my Avira just starts repeatedly beeping because of the installations of this infection. I contracted this a couple of days ago and immediately started running scans of my system to try to eliminate it to no avail...I am so infected I have started developing open bleeding sores disabling me from going forth into the world (apologies I digress...you get the point of the seriousness of my infection).

I have run Malwarebytes in normal mode and removed the 9 errors found...then upon unsuccessful result I again ren Malwarebytes in safe mode and again removed the 6 errors identified. I was unable to perform a superantispyware scan in safe mode. upon rebooting into normal mode my Avira was sounding like an alarm clock with the number of instances it was finding...(I think I made the worm mad and he just dumped all over the inerds of my system).

I have not performed a back-up and because of this infection do I really want to? Wouldn't I just be backing up this worm as well???

Please advise of the best way to proceed from here....

Edited by BlueSkyDJ, 29 October 2010 - 06:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal. Depending on the infection you are dealing with, it may take several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. If something goes awry during or before the disinfection process, there is always a risk the computer may become unstable or unbootable and you could loose access to your data.

If you have not already done so, you should back up all your important documents, personal data files and photos to a CD or DVD drive. The safest practice is not to backup any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.Again, do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .dll, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users