Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64bit and Wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 klausfunk

klausfunk

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

I recently upgraded my GFX card and due to its double height had to move my PCI based wireless card down a slot. Now I cannot connect. I have uninstalled a reinstalled the drivers but still no luck. I have tried the wireless card in all other avaliable slots but it only works in the original slot. This also seems to be the case when trying it with the old GFX card.

Fed up with days of head scratching I purchased a USB adaptor hoping to solve this. It works, driver installs but cannot connect! Please help me I am going crazy.

Is this some kind of stupid windows 7 64bit compatibility issue?

Thanks

Karl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

I have W7 64 bit, i use a USB wireless adapter. i have no problems, are you trying to connect using the software that came wit the USB device, or windows wireless connection service?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Also, what router do you have and wat USB adapter did you get?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:33 AM

Router is a Belkin 54g its quite old. I have a new Netgear waiting to install. The USB adaptor is TP-Link TL-WN422G apparently Windows 7 compatible. The adaptor works on my laptop running XP. I tested it. I have tried installing driver from CD and when that failed to work I downloaded the most recent Windows 7 64bit driver from TP site. The adaptor and driver seem to install correctly without problems.

In Network and Sharing Centre/Adaptor Settings the USB adaptor appears and is Enabled. When trying to connect it says "Not Connected - No connections are availible" bottom right on taskbar. In device manager it says the device is working correctly. When trying to troubleshoot the device it says there may be a problem with the driver. Yet when updating the driver it says the best driver is already being used.

I am new to this OS but have had many years of success running and maintaining XP systems. What appears to be a simple problem is really causing me a headache.

Thank you for your time.

Karl

#5 klausfunk

klausfunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

When trying to troubleshoot the device it says there may be a problem with the driver.

"Windows could not bind the IP protocol stack to the network adaptor"

Could this be the problem?

Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users