Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What motherboard should I get?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mylz

mylz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi all,

I currently have an ASUS P5N-T Deluxe motherboard and I'm running an Intel Q9450 and 4GB 1066 memory.
Basically, my PC keep freezing and its been narrowed down to the motherboard. To stop it from freezing I constantly have to keep underclocking my CPU and memory and it's gotten to a stupid point now so I just need to change it.

I need 2 PCI-E slots and atleast 1 PCI slot and obviously it has to support a Q9450 (socket 775) and 4GB of 1066 memory .
I'm looking to spend up to about 90-100 ($140-$150). I mainly use my PC for games (CSS, COD etc). I'm not looking to overclock (maybe in the future so may be a nice feature but not necessary).

I don't know whether it's wise to get another ASUS motherboard again due to the problems I've had with this one?
Anyway, would appreciate any suggestions as to which to get and if you need any more details just ask.

Thanks in advance all,
Myles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

You say you need two PCI express slots which suggests a dual GPU setup? Is it SLI or crossfire? This is pertinent info as the two are not interchangeable. Theres nothing wrong with ASUS boards, theyre one of the leading manufacturers-and in any manufacturer, sometimes there are lemons, and sometimes they just fail. I have used and trust ASUS, as well as gigabyte. Unfortunatly, I have not found any gigabyte boards currently offered in my usual sources, but I have found some good ASUS boards. If your running a NVIDIA SLI setup this board would be a good option, however it only supports 800 mhz ram (might be able to get more on the overclock) If its an crossfire setup this is a good board, even if its open box and supports up to 1200 mhz ddr2. The problem is, finding these older boards, at least new-with that criteria is becoming slightly more difficult then it used to be since they are starting to age out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users