Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there script blockers within Win XP?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WaylonJ

WaylonJ

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Based on what I've read, our PC is suffering with a variant of the Google Redirect Virus. And before I get cast off of this board right away, please note that I have posted to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs (VTS&MRL) board, which can be read here.

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting past the Forum Guidelines section of the VTS&MRL board. To clarify, the aforementioned board requires its posters to go through a series of preliminary steps before you post the text files required for a diagnosis. Said preliminary steps are found under the Forum Guidelines heading of the board and are found, specifically, under the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help link.

In short, we can't get past Step 7 of the Preparation Guide, which leads me to the relevant questions:

Are there script blocking utilities and/or settings in Windows XP which can block the dds.scr file from completing its intended task? In other words, is there a setting in XP that prevents said file from gathering the text files required by the VTS&MRL board?

Our PC is equipped with Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. We have visited the Win XP Update site and it indicates that we have all of the available updates.

We've been experiencing this issue for some time now, so I really appreciate any productive thoughts in this regard. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

I can only give you my impressions, from what I've seen.

Inability to run the logs requested in Malware Removal Forum...can be caused by existing malware on the system. Has nothing to do with anything native to XP.

The personnel in the Malware Removal Forum will know how to overcome this, since they have experienced such before with members' efforts to post logs.

Good luck with your posted topic :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users