Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Satellite Internet DHCP Screwy

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hello!

My mother's apartment has satellite Internet. We had a Belkin Surf router, but when it continually dropped connection (and outcries from the Internet agreed that it did), switched to a Linksys WRT54GL. I've managed to get it set up for both computers wirelessly.

The Internet here is down a lot (it's included in the rent, so my mom didn't really want to switch), but I discovered why today (or at least I think why). The Internet's LAN IP was set by default to 192.168.1.1. The Status page, when the Internet was down, showed the IP has 192.168.0.113, with a default gateway of 192.168.0.1. By setting the IP address to 192.168.0.113, it then showed the IP has 127.0.0.1 and the default gateway as 255.0.0.0.

By hitting DHCP Release then DHCP Renew, I managed to get new, usable WAN IPs. I changed the configuration mode as Static IP on the router and put these IPs in there before the Internet crapped out again and switched back to 192.168.0.113. All is now well.

Interestingly, if I connect directly to the CAT-5 Internet port with an ethernet cable, the Internet still does not work. Also, I have connected to a few unsecured networks to test and they do not have Internet, either. Have I found a permanent remedy for the constant dropping Internet, or will this static IP fail to work after a while?

As a side note, I did notice that by entering 192.168.0.1 into my address bar, there is another gateway that wants me to log in. However, I can only see it when the automatic DHCP is working: right now, I cannot connect to the page.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users