Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rhowland

rhowland

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

I've used PCs since PCs were around. I've had many virus protection programs in the past, and in my experience if you interact with the internet on a regular basis you get viruses, spyware etc. However, your antivirus software will find, disable or eradicate depending upon settings. CNET recommended AVG, so I did the trial for the month and then finally bought and installed the software. IT HAS NOT FOUND ONE INFECTION IN THE FULL MONTH THAT I'VE HAD THE SOFTWARE! Today, I had it run and it scanned about 1,300,000 files and again found nothing. Is that probable? Is that even possible? If the cross-check to this is to run another antivirus program and see if it finds anything, please recommend something a freebie to me.
Thank you,
Randy

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2010 - 11:16 AM.
Moved from Vista forum to AV, Firewall, Privacy Protection ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

It is not true that if you use internet regularly, then you would always encounter viruses. It has been many months (perhaps over a year) since I have encountered a virus on my own computer.
You can visit eicar test file and spycar.org to check if your anti-virus product is working like it should. But these methods do not check an anti-virus products fully.

To cross check without installing another anti-virus product you can use online virus scanners like ESet Online Scanner, BitDefender Online Scan, F-Secure online scanner etc.
You can also download anti-virus scanner bootable CDs like Dr. Web live CD.

#3 RingBearer

RingBearer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

I have not had any kind of malware event in 11 years. Last one was in 1999 with Win 98. Never had 1 since despite regularly visiting those, shall we say, disreputable sites? If you are getting virus infections regularly then there is something going on with the way you are interacting with your computer and the 'net.

There really is no need to ever get a virus. Perhaps start by creating a Limited User account and do all your surfing/downloading only from that environment.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Getting a virus and encountering a virus are two different things. Once my friend brought a USB stick full of all kinds of nasty computer viruses and inserted it in my computer. I did not get any virus (thanks to avast! ) but I can say that I did encounter viruses.

There really is no need to ever get a virus. Perhaps start by creating a Limited User account and do all your surfing/downloading only from that environment.

Actually the OP is worried that he/she is not getting any viruses :thumbsup:

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

I can not count the number of machines from Clients that have had expired AV`s or no AV`s. Right away I think oh-boy I`m in for a real fight on this one. :thumbsup: Much to my pleasant surprise, other then the usual tracking cookie the machine is 100% clean.

The Clients surfing habits as well as knowing not to click on attachments etc. just have not lead them to an infection of any type. So it is possible, but I would say not the norm.

#6 rhowland

rhowland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

I took the earlier advice (and thank you) of running F-secure, IMMEDIATELY after doing a full scan with an updated AVG. F-secure found 15 files, yes they are tracking cookies, that AVG did not find:

, TrackingCookie.Questionmarket (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Adinterax (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Advertising (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Atdmt (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Doubleclick (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Revsci (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Clickbank (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Fastclick (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Adbrite (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Webtrends (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Mediaplex (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Liveperson (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Statcounter (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Atwola (spyware)
System (Disinfected)
TrackingCookie.Yieldmanager (spyware)
System (Disinfected)

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

AVG may not look for tracking cookies. Not all AV`s are written to detect them. While tracking cookies are at best a slight privacy threat they really pose no other threat.

#8 rhowland

rhowland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

Cool. Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users