Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP/WGet Download Combofix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Swizzler

Swizzler

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but it was the closest forum pertaining to the topic I could find.

I've noticed in the last few months SuBS and Bleeping computer have changed the way combofix is downloaded. This extremely hinders how I use it, since I need to have the absolute newest version on hand since most the computers I deal with have been cut off from the internet or were offline to begin with, and don't really have the time to go download it every update, I use a program called Ketarin that checks my downloaded version with the online version to make sure I have the newest version, if not it downloads the newer one. Lately this has been hard since using the bleepingcomputer links only lasts 10 minutes, and the SuBS link directly to the executable redirects to a download page. Is there any way for me to automate downloading updated combofix programs again?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out a way for Ketarin to search for the randomized link using variables!

Edited by Swizzler, 28 October 2010 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DF33

DF33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

hello,

I'm interessed by an automatic download of Combofix with Wget...

Can you give me a way to do that...

Thanks !

(Sorry for my bad english)

#3 Andrew Gallagher

Andrew Gallagher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

I also use Ketarin and I am having difficulty figuring out these variables and how they work. Do you think you could tell me how you set it up so Combofix would download. Thanks

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

ComboFix is provided as is, without warranty of any kind. All
implied warranties are expressly disclaimed. If you do not agree to the
terms stipulated by sUBs, use of his tool is at your own risk.

Bleeping Computer and sUBs will not be responsible for any damage caused to your machine by misusing or running ComboFix on your own.

Please refer to this pinned topic for more information about ComboFix, its risks, and why we strongly discourage haphazard or unsupervised use of it.

Please refer to the How To Use Combofix guide for additional details. I again strongly caution and exhort users to abide by ComboFix's disclaimer.

Edited by Andrew, 03 February 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#5 Swizzler

Swizzler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

I also use Ketarin and I am having difficulty figuring out these variables and how they work. Do you think you could tell me how you set it up so Combofix would download. Thanks

i'm posting it here too for future reference:

OK. I started a new entry with the url set to the variable {findlink}. the variable is as follows:

it is a variable type "Content from URL (start/end)" on the URL "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix"

on the pages code I have marked it out as follows:

[start]<td width='20%'><b>BleepingComputer Mirror:</b></td>
 <td width='25%'><a href="[/start]http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/protected/3351decec84cca5d9acf5f8df74576e7/4d4c1d2e/ComboFix.exe
[end]" class="goodurl">ComboFix Download Link</a></td>[/end]

select the text in between the [start] brackets for the start marker,
and select the text in-between the [end] brackets for the end marker.

I hope this helps!

#6 Geocrasher

Geocrasher

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

I use it similarly as the original poster.

Here's how to do it with wget:

wget http://www.infospyware.net/sUBs/ComboFix.exe --referer=http://www.infospyware.net/antimalware/combofix/

Works for me :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users