Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lailinda

lailinda

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

When I fully run Avast, my windows XP Home edition PC (IE 7) is not as fast. I remember I stopped running like 2 items P2P or something) and pc ran fast and fine. Is it safe for me to stop running P2P, IM etc but I do get a pop up from Avast that says I am not fully protected. What excatly can I stop running and what MUST I set to "running"

Another problem, why doesn't my page open up fully . It leave the right like 2 inches blank. and the top 2 inches. blank . Each time I have to click the square icon on the right top corner. It is very tiring to always to that each and every time. Pls reply. Thanks.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 October 2010 - 08:36 PM.
Move to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Do you use P2P or IM? If so, you need those portions of AVAST running. If not, it's safe to disable those components.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

When an anti-virus program is running, it uses system resources. Depending on what activity the anti-virus is doing at the time (updating, scanning a file, etc) it will utilize more resources and can slow performance until finished.

Important Note: Using any Torrents, peer-to-peer (P2P) or file sharing program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, uTorrent, BitLord, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze) is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge. Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities. In some instances the infection may cause so much damage to your system that recovery is not possible and a Repair Install will NOT help!. In those cases, the only option is to wipe your drive, reformat and reinstall the OS.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications.
Using such programs is almost a guaranteed way to get yourself infected!!
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users