Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fbi Warns Of Email Scam 22 Nov 2005

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has issued a press note warning the public to avoid falling victim to an on-going mass e-mail scheme, wherein computer users received unsolicited e-mails supposedly sent by the FBI.These scam e-mails tell the recipients that their Internet use has been monitored by the agency, and that they have accessed illegal web sites. The e-mails then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions. The e-mail appears to be sent from the e-mail addresses of mail@fbi.gov and admin@fbi.gov. There may be other similarly styled addresses. The recipient is enticed to open the zip attachment, which contains a w32/sober.jen@mm worm. The attachment does not open and its goal is to utilize the recipient's computer to garner information. By Techtree News Staff
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:47 AM

I got my copy of this e-mail approximately one hour before posting this news item.

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

I will be on the lookout! I dont open attachments from people I dont know to be safe. My ISP also scans all incoming emails for viruses before they get to me.

#4 nsga

nsga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:25 AM

I have had at least 10 of these mails since yesterday. Also from the CIA too. And in the subject line "your password confirmation" appearing like they are from my university. Where do they come from?

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:40 AM

Hm... I haven't got any yet. Well I probably did but it probably ended up in my spam box. But yea I never open any attachment unless I know exactly who it is from.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:31 AM

Where do they come from?

Once someone opens that attachment the virus searches your computer for email addresses and sends itself on to each one it finds. This is repeated on the computer that receives and becomes infected and so on. Before long there are literally millions of copies of this virus being emailed around.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users