Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main machine blacked out last night

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

Was using Google Earth zooming around when I got a message that GE was having a problem and had to close, as it closed the machine shut down. I hit the button to restart it and go zip just a black screen and spinning HD's, I hit the rest button it cycled through a restart but went to a black screen with a wide white bar about 1/3 of the bottom of the screen with about five lines of memory addresses. I am thinking a memory stick died, any other ideas always welcomed will be tearing into it this evening.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

I don't see a connection between possibly bad RAM...and the system shutting off.

IME, experience bad RAM either fails to show up or produces strange effects...but a system should not shut off from such. But I'm not a tech or IT person so my experiences are limited.

Anytime a system shuts off...my first suspect would be the PSU, with overheating #2.

Louis

#3 diabillic

diabillic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Did it go through the Windows shutdown process or simply cut right out?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hi and thanks for the replies!

It just shut its self down with no warning other then GE saying it was having a problem and needed to shut down taking the whole machine down!!!

I just put the cover back on, I did the old swapperoo with the sticks. One stick was bad! What lead me to believe it was ram was the white bar that appeared with the memory addresses during one boot before total darkness. Firstly I am not a tech strictly home grown builder and hopeful fixer, I have been fooling with these since 1972. I have never ever seen a screen like that before, wonder if anyone else has. Need to drop a note to Corsair for a new stick, I had one go about two years ago they were very quick to take care of it.

Thanks again!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 28 October 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

Hi again I apologize I did not read through both posts, I was glad to be up and running with a bit of simplicity. Louis heat is not an issue with my stuff, I open them up about every three months and blow them out, I had just cleaned them about a week back. I use WIS by Tapala software to check temps and system basics about once a week, this may sound a bit anal but my house is quite dusty being on a back road.

I did notice a couple of things were slow and my Zip drive was acting up, I was attempting to transfer a file with the Zip it would not read and now works perfectly again. At the time I had the two machines one on the news and one doing a tad of maintenance kind of half paying attention to both.

Phil

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:03 AM

So...you're good right now, Phil?

Louis

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Yes all looks Ok Louis, I am now realizing that the stick must have been slowly failing for awhile. I always thought they died a quick death, but I can see by the current one stick performance that is not the case. I guess I will be nicely surprised when the new one comes, waiting for the RMA as I type.

Phil

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Getting a bit antsy! Corsair has become very slow with my RMA, I had a chip go bad about a year ago and had a notice of a return within about two days after they received it and the new chip a couple of days there after. This time they got it on the 4th now the 11th still have not hears anything.

Phil

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well my new ram stick showed up about 30 minutes ago, the bad stick must have been dying a slow death. It is nice to see the boot time cut way down again! Thank you Corsair if you are watching!

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users