Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake System defragmenter, now cant log in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 supershedseven

supershedseven

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:59 AM

Hi Everyone, im new here and im in a right mess!

I have Windows XP and everything was fine until last night, and all of a sudden a fake program called System Defragmenter popped up. I knew right away this was a virus/trojan etc, so i quickly logged out, returned in safe mode, run AVG & Spyware/Malware removal program. Both found a few trojans etc (im afraid i didnt keep the names), and i removed them and re-booted.

Now its not letting me into windows. I get to the 1st screen with our log in names, and i click to enter, its states "logging in", but then logs right out again and saves settings. Its like a loop???? So ive tried logging into Windows using everyone who has access but none of them let me past this screen.

I then decided to run all 3 SAFE MODES, but its exactly the same. Only lets me click on my name, but loops right back out again without getting to the main screen.

I've tried pressing F12 to do a system restore, but this seems to be disabled as it continues to just the normal windows screen.

So all in all, i can get into my computer anymore and dont see anyway of getting it restored.

Any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Re: Windows XP LogOn/LogOff Loop

Your situation has been reported to to the Malware Removal Team here at BC. An expert on your predicament will be along to help you as soon as they can (but I have no idea how long that will be).

Sit tight.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Hi supershedseven, do you have an XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users