Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change of startup command prompt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

Hi. I am doing some basic Java programming. Is there any kind help with formulating an appropriate batch file to change the default startup directory for the DOS Command Prompt?
Thanks for your most kind help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi. I am doing some basic Java programming. Is there any kind help with formulating an appropriate batch file to change the default startup directory for the DOS Command Prompt?
Thanks for your most kind help.

Hi, This question needs to be more precisely worded and specific.

It is not clear what you are trying to accomplish. When you say: to change the default startup directory for the Dos Command Prompt" exactly what do you mean? Do you mean the ultimate display which appears after bootup on the screen?

Do you mean you want to change the directory which the dos screen first shows after it boots up?

Do you want to boot to a menu on the screen giving you options to chose for going to different directories?

Your wording is, frankly, a little sloppy and we can't address a problem we don't understand.

Edited by 44guy, 04 November 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#3 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

When I Run the command 'cmd' the command prompt (MS-DOS) window displays the DOS prompt as C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>. My request was for help to change the prompt in a specific shortcut of the MS-DOS window. I've found the required answer to this. Thank you for your help.

#4 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

May I request your kind help and advice on how to boot my PC into MS-DOS? I have Windows XP Home edition as the sole operating system. Thank you for your kind consideration of my request for help.

#5 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

May I request your kind help and advice on how to boot my PC into MS-DOS? I have Windows XP Home edition as the sole operating system. Thank you for your kind consideration of my request for help.

You are not going to "boot" into MS Dos unless you have a separate partition on your disk with ms dos as the operating system on it.

The best I can do for you is tell you to boot into your normal windows boot,
then go to the Start button and Programs and to the ms dos prompt.

(I find it useful to put a shortcut to the ms prompt on my desktop for future use to cut this procedure short)

You can change the prompt, which probably recites as you said in your prior email, by simply typing, after the existing prompt; cd\ c: .....The prompt should then read C:\ alone.
From there you are in dos and can type whatever DOS commands you desire.

I hope this answers your question. Bear in mind that DOS stands for Disk Operating System and is a separate operating system than Windows.

I would suggest you get yourself a good book on DOS from the library.

#6 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Thank you for your time and kind advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users