Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

So I just loaded Internet Explorer 8 from a CD my daughter made for me back in February and I'm now able to open email on my Gmail account account once again thanks to those of you that helped. It does seem somewhat slower than previously but nevetheless it works!
However I'm currently using Sevice Pack 2 and I'm concerned whether I need to install Service Pack 3 (from a CD made for me back in February by my daughter with her high speed connection). As you may recall from a previous post, I'm using a dialup connection with Netzero, Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Avast free A-V 5.0, 512 MB of RAM. I stopped downloading updates from Windows after Service Pack 2 and my computer is just fine. If you tell me I must update to Service Pack 3 because SP2 is no longer supported, please tell me what I must do before this (and how to do it I'm not an advanced user), because I don't want to create a problem on this computer where I don't have one now. I'm on a limited budget

Edited by sweets, 28 October 2010 - 04:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yes use the SP3 CD Created by your daughter.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

You might also disable your antivirus software temporarily while installing.

It could take considerabe time to install SP3 so please be patient and let it complete
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Dell Dimension 4550 w 512 MB RAM
I'm afraid loading all these updates of SP3 will slow my system even further, I'm on dialup and not changing to hispeed

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Well...I'll put it this way...not having SP3 and all subsequent updates installed...will definitely leave your system much more susceptible to currently known malware, not mention malware that has appeared on the scene since SP3 was issued.

It's your system...which is the greater potential/actual inconvenience?

Louis

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

I dont think they make these updates with the dialup user in mind anymore and besides i have up to date a-v software with avast so i'm not too concerned with microsoft security updates that will potentially crash my sytem due to overload, but what do i need to do before i load SP3?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Some references:

Dell - Installing SP3 - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=47DABAC4EAEE89F3E040A68F5A282CDA&doclang=en

Dell - SP3 FAQ - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=4B7BF14FA25A4429E040A68F5A282C3C

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

Louis

#9 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:09 AM

Since I installed IE8, I'm getting an error message telling me I'm offline when I'm not. I click, "Try Again" and I'm able to continue. How do I get rid of this?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:12 AM

In the File menu, is the option Work Offline enabled? If it is, click it to disable the option.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:01 PM

unclicking work offline in the file menu did not stop error message telling me I'm offline when I'm not. I click, "Try Again" and I'm able to continue. How do I get rid of this?

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

I do not know how to get rid of that error you are receiving but I do have a suggestion, switch to Firefox.

When I tried using IE7 and IE8 I had so many problems with them that I just quit using them and switched to Firefox. I love Firefox so much that I would never try to sort out the problems with IE. IE is just not worth it.

Btw, I have not upgraded to SP3 either but as long as the software I run doesn't make me, I have no intentions of doing so. I count on my anti-virus/firewall to keep me safe, not Microsoft.

Edited by Stang777, 03 November 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#13 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:26 AM

i keep doing what the experts say, i finally was forced to go to IE8, cause gmail would not work, then they forced me to go with SP3, and now SP3 has created a whole bunch of issues, this crap just goes on and on, they just wanna keep us paying dough, and force us from dialup to expensive broadband, i wouldn't be surprised if the top guys were the ones who created viruses to keep us buying a-v software, just goes on and on...

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:56 AM

Btw, I have not upgraded to SP3 either but as long as the software I run doesn't make me, I have no intentions of doing so. I count on my anti-virus/firewall to keep me safe, not Microsoft.

You can be infected now as you speak the way malware works now can disable your AV and with running a non-updated version of windows and not being able to get support anymore from Windows you will soon be in the AII or MRL Section with a nasty rootkit.

I would HIGHLY advice that you upgrade to SP3 and put all the LIES you have been told about it to the back burner and let it burn. You are really doing yourself a great disservice and everyone here by not updating to SP3 and telling people why you haven't.

Edited by cryptodan, 04 November 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#15 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

firefox browser doesn't require it im sorry i didnt go to it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users