Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Budget Pc Fo $$988.00

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:15 AM

i have $1500 or less to spend on a PC . I will play the new gen games on it. like Doom 3, FEAR, Half Life2, and so on.

CASE : Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control (Silver Color)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3000+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Chipset SATA Raid PCI-E w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE
MONITOR & LCD : ViewSonic Q7B 17" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display Monitor (BLACK Only)
HARD DRIVE : 160GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache -- Recommended)
Optical Drive : 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

This computer system is currently $988.00. at cyberpowersystem. Its the Gamer Ultra 7500 SE. does anyone know any better trustable sites i cant get this computer cheaper. i wanna get an X2 proccessor . will it be possible to get it for under $1500

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

That price is OK for what you're getting, but the processor is kind of a weak point. If you know what you're doing and are willing to invest in some aftermarket cooling and can get it installed safely and properly yourself, you can move up to a 3200+ CPU and overclock it quite a lot. On the other hand, if you want to run stock cooling and not bother messing around inside your machine, just get a 3500+ processor. After you figure in the price of cooling accessories, peace of mind and the value of your time, it usually makes sense to just get the higher end processor.

As for an X2 dual core processor, the first thing to do is to ask yourself "why do I need one?" Do you spend a lot of time doing video encoding/decoding? Do you background tasks constantly while you play games? You can build a nice 3800+ X2 system for around $1500 (no OS), but you have to know how to build a PC, and you should also have a need. The vast, vast majority of people do not need the extra core offered by X2 and would be better served by a cheaper, faster single core processor. Don't get stuff just because you think it's cool or you'll end up kicking yourself for wasting money later on.

The video card could use work too... 6600 is OK, but you can check reviews of the 6600 vs. the 6600 GT and see if the difference is worthwhile to you. If you're going to get an Nvidia card, you want to make sure that it's SLI compatible, even if you aren't going to use it in SLI mode right away. Speaking of which, it sounds like you're putting together a machine to be used mainly for gaming and that you mainly play shooters, which makes you a candidate for an SLI capable board. MSI's SLI board is pretty nice and will let you add another vid card later on if you decide to go that way.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

On the video card front I'd up it a bit more to the new 6800GS, it has a better performance/price ratio than either the 6600 or 6600GT. At the moment it sits just above the $200 line.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:26 PM

Build it yourself!!. For $1500 you can build yourself a decent gaming rig.

If you decide to go SLI, buy a case without a power supply as most cases that do come with, are normally very weak PSUs. This way you can buy a good one and not have to throw one away.
Have a look at newegg.com for all the bits, they're real cheap.

#5 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:13 AM

-Graphics. : there are some Geforce 6600 dat u can change from 8pipe to 16 pipe like the Geforce 6800. So its cheaper to go 6600. also .

-does any1 else have any advice on getting an amd X2 proccessor or an AMD FX processor? Is a really good single core a better deal. i play mostly games on my computer. maybe i will run a game server but dats bout it.

#6 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:24 AM

-Graphics. : there are some Geforce 6600 dat u can change from 8pipe to 16 pipe like the Geforce 6800. So its cheaper to go 6600. also .

-does any1 else have any advice on getting an amd X2 proccessor or an AMD FX processor? Is a really good single core a better deal. i play mostly games on my computer. maybe i will run a game server but dats bout it.

Well i've never heard of a 6600 with unlockable pipes (but i may be wrong), anyway there is no guaranty that the extra pipes will be working (they are locked for a reason). I had a 6800 with 12 pipes and unlocked it to 16 and got really bad artifacts in 3D apps.
At the moment the single core processors rule the roost in games but that is about to change. Nvidia have included support for dual core processors in their latest driver releases and it wont be long before the newest games start supporting it too......i would imagine that this time next year the newer dual cores will be better in games. Plus we have the release of Windows Vista and DX10 to look forward to, so there should be alot of new hardware to support the changes.
For the time being, stick with single core for games, unless you want to future proof your system, then go for dual core.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:28 AM

Unless you want to build it yourself, take a look at what Alienware offers:

http://www.alienware.com/main_gaming.aspx

#8 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:12 PM

alienware is good but its way to over priced. you can get the same performance at cyberpower for the quarter of the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users