Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 registry damage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TechyWebb

TechyWebb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

After many years of doing allot of computer work/repairs I have one that has me stumped.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and when repairing/upgrading my brothers PC I mistakenly ran a old registry editor not ment for Windows 7 in my tiredness on my computer. In so doing my windows no longer boots and I have attempted repairs for 2 days now. Using my server to fix this and research solutions but no luck.

My windows disk, windows repair disk, and the PC own repair functions are not able to repair the issue. I can get the system restore function to get to 10 same day restore points but when tried it claims enable system protection. Plus when in the command prompt it acts like my C drive is now E. With shadow explorer I have been able to see the restore point information. Any access to windows even in safe mode causes a PC restart.

Even though I can reinstall windows it will take me 20 hours to rebuild everything I have in it. Did a PC rebuild 4 months ago and rather not have to do that much rebuild again for a long time since i can't remeber a number of the programs I would need since my last job at a company is gone and the company nolonger exsists to get the software again.

I need a way to either get a system restore going to undo the registry damage automatically, manually or some other repair program I may not be aware of that can be run outside of windows.

Edited by TechyWebb, 28 October 2010 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechyWebb

TechyWebb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

I finally worked out a solution from pieces of answers I have found. it's not refined but it does work.

First you need to get ShadowExplorer on another computer that you can add your hard drive to from the damaged PC.
If your system restore has made restore points it will be able to access the restore point files made.
Go to your windows\system32\config and export out the files present to a folder.

Go to your damaged drive windows\system32\config. for a safety measure I showed hidden files a system files. I then copied all the files to a new folder in case of failure.
Copy the exported restore files over the same drive in the damaged hard drive.

When The damaged drive was added to the original PC it booted up normal. As a added safety net I ran system restore to a previous restore point then the one used to restore the PC registry files.

My PC is now 100% normal again. Reference for manual registry repairs are from this article.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/5152fe15-0ed4-430c-b078-ce82b0876e7d

Edited by TechyWebb, 28 October 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for posting your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users