Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer, freezing and other problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ssthomps

ssthomps

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

Hello,

Once again I am entering the forum asking for assistance but this time the trouble is with my mothers computer. There are various problems with this computer and it is unable to connect to the internet so I have to try to get help from another computer. What is the first step I need to take to get help on this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:05 AM

Hi ssthomps,

It depends on what the above mentioned "various problems" are.

You can look here and can skip to step 2 or 3

Just ask back if unsure which way to go.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Well...IMO, the first step would include such as...define the problem or problems...tell us when they started...let us know if malware is known or suspected.

Slow computers and freezing...are symptoms that can be created by any number of circumstances.

Louis

#4 ssthomps

ssthomps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

I don't know exactly when it started but I just know she said it's been going on for a while. I suspect some type of malware is the culprit. I'll define a few of the problems.

Sometimes when she cuts the computer on, it doesn't boot all the way, it gets stuck like halfway. When she can get it to boot up, it's extremely slow and takes programs a long time to load. She says that her computer is unable to connect to the internet anymore, and other computers in the house can connect with ease. Sometimes the computer will freeze up while she's performing a task on it. My mother is not good with technology so she could have clicked on something that caused this o downloaded something without knowing.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

Do you have access to this computer?

Third-hand info about computers that none of us can see...can tend to make troubleshooting a bit tedious and very inaccurate.

<<Sometimes when she cuts the computer on, it doesn't boot all the way, it gets stuck like halfway.>>

Any error messages? Does it shut off or does the screen just freeze? If the screen freezes...at what point does this occur?

<<When she can get it to boot up, it's extremely slow and takes programs a long time to load.>>

Can she boot into safe mode minus these symptoms? But the programs do load? How much free space on C: partition and how large is C: partition?

<<She says that her computer is unable to connect to the internet anymore, and other computers in the house can connect with ease.>>

Error message?

<<Sometimes the computer will freeze up while she's performing a task on it.>>

Any error messages onscreen? How about errors reflected in Event Viewer?

Worth reading the comments by Quietman7, IMO:
Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

EDIT: Since you have access to other computers...you can remove the hard drive from the troubled computer and attach it to another...and run malware scans, see how large C: is, how much free space, etc. The more info that you can furnish, the better and more valid member suggestions can be made.

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#6 cramie10

cramie10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Sounds like overheating to me. Big time. Is it a laptop or desktop? By the sounds of things either you need a new fan or more likely some of that thermal stuff which is between the fan and the processor, and that should stop it. It sounds VERY likely that it's overheating though, and probably thus can't connect to the internet... because its too hard for it :L. Is the fan grinding at all? As in being REALLY loud, but again I don't know whether its a laptop or desktop, if its a desktop it shouldnt be too bad to diagnose... but laptops can overheat in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users