Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot into SATA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xcentrifigal

Xcentrifigal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:56 PM

I have read through the sticky's on this forum, but am still not sure that I can use any of the suggestions for my problem. So I'm hoping that someone will provide further guidance. I'm bound to be just missing the bleedin' obvious, so don't hesitate to point it out.

A7N8X v2.0 deluxe mobo / Athlon XP 2500+ / 2gb RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 512mb AGP graphics
SIL 3112 revision 2 SATA raid
2 SATA drives
2 IDE HDD drives on primary
2 IDE optical drives on secondary

Boot drive has always been SATA 1, which has a 'C' and 'D' partition. It CHKDSK's with no errors.
IDE master is 'E'
IDE slave is 'F'
SATA 2 is 'G'

I know this is an outdated system, but it's all I've got for now. (Apart from the shiny new laptop I'm posting this with!)

I've just done a clean install of XP Pro SP3 onto the existing 'C' partition, because it was a very old installation, and was choking on itself, and perhaps one too many graphic card updates ;)

I have SIL 3112r SATARaid controller on floppy, did F6 and completed install OK. Award Phoenix BIOS is set to boot in this order; SATA-SCSI, CD-ROM, HDD-0.
First attempt went screwy with Windows system on SATA 1 drive, but NTLDR, boot.ini, pagefile and other boot files on first IDE device, which now became 'C'. This changed the new install on SATA 'C' to 'D'. It did manage to boot but was ugly and unstable, BSOD's on PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, and PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA.

So I unplugged the IDE cable from mobo and installed again to SATA 1 'C' partition to make sure that NTLDR etc, stayed where they should.

All seemed fine, Windows booting properly to SATA 'C'. I installed the first few drivers, graphics, monitor, anti-virus, network, and did many Windows/.NET updates, did a few restarts, all was working well.

Then I reconnected the IDE cable and booted up, to get 'NTLDR missing, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart'.

I used a Hirens bootCD to look at my drives partitions, and saw that 'C' was now pointing to the IDE drive again. So I deduce that my system still wants to boot from IDE rather than SATA despite BIOS being set to boot 'SATA,SCSI' first. If I pull the IDE cable from mobo, it boots fine.

I think I'm missing something in BIOS or raid setup but I need help please.

Many thanks for reading long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

If you have Windows installed on both the SATA drive and a PATA drive...then the sequence of installation determines which is the bootable drive. It's similar to a dual-boot situation, where whichever install you boot into...determines which is C:.

If you boot into the install on the PATA drive...it becomes the C: partition.

If you boot into the install on the SATA drive...it becomes the C: partition.

Since I have no understanding of why you would install XP on the PATA drive...I can't really add more than that.

When you boot the system...are you presented with a choice of installs to boot into?

Louis

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

I think I'm missing something in BIOS

Set all boot options to scuzzi(I found no sata listed)

Exit saving changes
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Xcentrifigal

Xcentrifigal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:54 AM

If you have Windows installed on both the SATA drive and a PATA drive...then the sequence of installation determines which is the bootable drive. It's similar to a dual-boot situation, where whichever install you boot into...determines which is C:.

If you boot into the install on the PATA drive...it becomes the C: partition.

If you boot into the install on the SATA drive...it becomes the C: partition.

Since I have no understanding of why you would install XP on the PATA drive...I can't really add more than that.

When you boot the system...are you presented with a choice of installs to boot into?

I intended to install on SATA only but by some error I mistakenly ended up with a Windows install on SATA, but also a set of boot files on PATA. This included, autoexec.bat, config.sys, pagefile, ntldr, etc., resulting as you say with system trying to boot from the PATA and calling it C. It was unstable, so I decided to disconnect all PATA drives and do another install with SATA only connected. All was well so far.
I then reconnected the PATA drives, initially it booted back correctly with the SATA as 'C'. So I deleted unwanted boot files from the PATA drive. This is how it is now with 'NTLDR missing' error only when the PATA cable is connected. It boots correctly on SATA when this is disconnected.

Chewy said
Set all boot options to scuzzi(I found no sata listed)

No time to try that now, will do later - BIOS has 'SATA & SCSI Boot Order' with options 'SATA,SCSI' or 'SCSI,SATA', I have selected the 'SATA,SCSI', but I had left other boot options as they were, CD-ROM, HDD-0 etc. But I shall later on try setting all the boot options to SCSI.

Thank you both, I will post back later today
Graham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users