This post is made in accordance with the Malware Removal Tools Instruction Page found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html. My apologies for not being able to provide a more specific description of the virus now affecting my computer; regretfully, I am not well versed in computer jargon. But it is clear my computer is infected with some kind of virus.
Symptoms of the infection include:
- extremely poor and slow performance when using all applications (especially Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Word)
- hijacked / redirected web links when using the Mozilla Firefox web browser (especially when searching for terms on Google)
- computer freezes that require force quits with loss of information
- repeated shutdown of Generic Host Process for Win32
Indeed, I currently am writing this post from the non-infected computer; my attempts to write it from the infected computer were interrupted when I was required to perform one of the aforementioned force quits (while running the GMER program, no less).
Problem With DDS Logs
As noted, I followed the instructions found at the Malware Removal Tools Instruction Page. However, I was not able to complete Step 7 (regarding DDS Logs). Specifically, although I downloaded and ran the DDS Log program, I could not create the notepad logs requested by the Instruction Page. Although the program seemed to run (and the black screen appeared), no log ever appeared and no “.txt” files were created on the infected computer’s desktop. Accordingly, I could not paste the contents of any “DDS.txt” or “Attach.txt” log.
I understand, of course, that resolution of the infected computer’s overall problem requires you to be able to read these logs. Accordingly, if you have any suggestions on how to resolve this specific DDS Logs problem, please advise.
[Note, no similar problem occurred with the GMER program, and the “ark.txt” log is appended in the next section.
ark.txt.log 27.8KB 2 downloads
Potentially Helpful Information
The following information regarding my infected computer may be of some assistance.
- Computer: HP Pavilion ze5300 laptop
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
- Internet Connection: Wireless
Additionally, please note that the computer, prior to suffering this infection, already had installed on it the following anti-virus software:
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware / Rootkit software
- ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Expired Trial Version 3.0.642.0)
As it is likely you will need more information in order to accurately diagnose the problem and recommend a solution, please contact me with any questions.
Thank you in advance for your time, effort, and assistance. ark.txt.log 27.8KB 2 downloads
Log wasn't showing. Made it appear. ~ OB
Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 October 2010 - 05:50 PM.