Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Safely change my boot drive from F: to C:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HealingMindN

HealingMindN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

I have a fresh installation of WinXPPro on a new HD wherein I'm in the process of installing programs. I noticed that WinXP arbitrarily assigned the boot drive F: and a USB Drive as C: Ordinarily, I would not consider this a problem, except when I attempted to install a MB driver, it was looking for C:\boot.ini! I have examined the procedure at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188, but there is no protocol for recovery in case my PC doesn't boot! So what if I backed up my data? What do I do If it can't boot?

P.S. I found autoexec.bat, config.sys, io.sys, and msdos.sys on my USB drive which tells me something screwy is going on. Please Help! Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

You haven't told us how you accomplished this install...how many drives were attached to the system at that time...I will give generic info, which may help you to understand what happened and why.

First...if this system is an OEM (e.g., HP, Lenovo, eMachines, etc.) system and used recovery/restore disks or partitions...the manufacturer of those systems determines what your options are.

Second...if you have an actual MS Genuine XP CD and the system is self/custom-built...and you have an OEM CD...you need to be aware that Windows does a detection/count of all attached drives when it does the install. For every drive other than the optical drive used...and the hard drive to be used...the install routine assigns a letter.

C: is the first letter assigned, then D:, and so on.

If the install routine detects one hard drive and one optical drive...it assigns C: to the hard drive, with D: being assigned the optical drive.

If the install routine detects any other drives...either the install won't complete or it will assign letters to those drives. This includes flash drives, USB-connected external hard drives, and external devices which have been added to the system (such as card readers).

When ready to actually do the install...the routine goes through any letters it has already assigned to detected devices on the system...and then it assigns the next letter to the actual install.

Once this occurs and the boot drive has a drive letter other than C:, the only way that I have found to correct this...is to temporarily disconnect the devices which interfered with the original install...and then do a repair install of XP, with just one hard drive and one optical drive connected/detected.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

I found autoexec.bat, config.sys, io.sys, and msdos.sys on my USB drive which tells me something screwy is going on. Please Help! Thanks in advance.

Those look like Windows 98 files to me
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users