Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install updates after a clean reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

I am having trouble with a clean reinstall of my Dell Vosotro 1400 Windows Vista SP1 32 bit.
To begin, there were many problems with the computer, and frequent messages indicating corrupt system files. Diagnostics showed no sign of hardware issues. So I did a clean installation from the Dell Reinstallation Disk (reinstall to factory settings). Things went well until, after installing many updates, I began to have problems with some of the ‘important’ updates. The two that will not install are:
KB967723
KB971737
I followed a number of troubleshooting steps, as recommended by Windows, as follows.

First, I downloaded a special tool (hotfix: Windows6.0-KkB947821-v10-x86) which it said might clear things up (did not).
Upon this failure, I then (as directed) ran setup.exe from the reinstallation disk to do a vista upgrade. This downloaded files, then stopped, saying I need to have SP 1 to do the upgrade. (The Reinstallation disk says SP 1, but the Basic Information Screen does not list SP1.)

I then decided to go to Dell support to look for driver updates. There were a number, but only one seemed relevant to the problem at hand, as it provided a system update (and was also rated as ‘recommended’), so I downloaded it - System Utilities:Dell Notebook System Software Utility) and installed it. Still no luck installing updates.

Another troubleshooting message said to do a disk error check (did full error checking but no errors whatsoever). Tried the updates again – still no luck. If this failed, Windows recommended a “Fix It” solution (50202), with two modes – regular and aggressive. I tried both – nd failed with each try.

As a last resort I went to the Dell System Diagnostics (available at the bios level screen) and ran this program; no problems were identified.

I am stuck, stuck, stuck. Any great ideas out there? What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

You should install Vista SP2 instead of installing minor updates for SP1.

Windows Vista SP2 standalone : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en&pf=true

After that you can use Belarc Advisor free to see which updates are missing on your system

#3 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

Tried to install SP2 and failed - said I needed SP 1. Downloaded and tried SP 1 -- failed -- suggested the 'system update readiness tool,' which I had tried before -- but I tried it again and that failed too. Any other ideas? I am desperate!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

I would suspect that you have hard drive problems...but what was the reason that you originally wanted to do a clean install?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#5 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Finally able to load all updates. Here's how:
Downloaded and installed Dell driver updates: ‘System Utilities:Dell Notebook System’ , and chipset drivers. Downloaded system readiness tool (a newer version for SP2 –v10 than for SP1 –v4). Tried to reinstall SP2 and failed. Deleted files from “System Distribution” folder. Tried and succeeded at downloading and installing SP2. Next, did windows update – downloaded 74 updates, installed 52; failed with others. Deleted “system distribution” folder again, did another windows update and was successful. All updates now installed.

Thanks.

Now I have a new question regarding the failure to update unless System Distribution folders are deleted. Will post as a new problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users