Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Into The Vaio Cpu!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorilaf2

Lorilaf2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:20 PM

Probably a dumb question but... Inherited a Sony VIAO desktop and -surprisingly- it has no modem. I want to replace my Father-in-law's very buggy old compac with this vaio and he has only a dial up connection with MSN. Thought it would be simple but apparently the former owner used a lan and not a dialup. I have cleaned up and run several virus and spyware removers on the Vaio while it was connected to my cable but can't connect via phone. I thought the first step would be to try moving the modem from the compac to the vaio - BUT I CAN'T FIGURE HOW TO GET THE Vaio BOX OPEN!!
HELP! Thanks,
Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Saxif

Saxif

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

When you're asking for help, remember: details, details, details. It's important to list all the pertinent details of the problem you're encountering or people have no idea how to help you. Not all Vaio machines are created equal -- what model of Sony do you have?

Most computer cases open with one or two thumbscrews on the rear of the case, after which you can slide off the housing, but your best bet is to go here http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-syste...DOCS&PRODTYPE=1

Find your model of Vaio and see if you can find some documentation.

Now before you go mucking around inside the computer case, make sure you know what you're doing *or* make sure you have good medical insurance and don't care if you destroy the computer. Before you open the case, make sure to unplug the computer and then make sure you discharge any static electricity that may have built up on your person. Touching a grounded metal object (like a waterpipe that goes into the ground) is usually enough to get rid of static, but remember, just walking back to your machine can build up more static. An anti-static wrist strap is what most people use.

Sorry if any of this sounds condescending. I'm just trying to warn you from getting in too much over your head.

#3 Lorilaf2

Lorilaf2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:01 AM

Not too condescending... I have changed cards in pcs before. There are no visible thumb screws on this machine! The sides seem to pull off butt I didn;t want to force them and break it. When I get back to Dad's I'll check out the model and the site you recommended.
Thanks.
Lori

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

I work on machines and had one of these come to me for tweaking, so I had to study this "puzzle" one day.

If you look at the back of the case and then at the very top righthand corner, you will see a little metal "tab" with a little downturned hook, you just pull it and the side panel will pop open a little. Grap the top of it and lift it out. Be careful inside, as it is very TIGHT in there. They did not provide much room for messing in there!

When you go to re-install the panel, set it in the bottom first and then "hinge" it up and when you make contact, give it a little push and you will here a click. If you do not push it in all the way, it will fall open in a day on two!

Those crazy sony people! :thumbsup:

#5 Lorilaf2

Lorilaf2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:56 PM

Thanks! I failed to get what turns out to be a trojan off of the old pc , and since I hadn't figured how tot add a modem...Dad will call either the Geek Squad or Techs 2U for an appointment. Probably a better idea than me taking a chance in getting in over my head!

My next project is to find a scanner to put all my ancient 35mm slides onto disks :thumbsup: :flowers:

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users