Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC at startup is only blinking at top left hand corner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

Hi guys,
i have a problem, i was working on this PC that had a problem. the problem was - when it is turned on,nothing comes on.
There is a black screen and blinking cursor (looks like an under-score) [blink]_[blink]
that just keeps blinking.
Okay this is what I did. I thought the hard disk was damaged, I get a brand new hard disk drive (SATA) and inserted in, and start installing the System Restore Discs and Operating system CD, it is a HP Compaq Desktop dx2200 MT.
Every thing goes perfectly well, it starts up fine, XP is installed up and running, all other software are being installed.
It all looks great up until I slave the original hard disc in order to copy back the users files back onto the new disc. By the way all copying goes well until the PC suddenly freezes, it doesn't respond to all the keyboard keys or the mouse whatsoever, even pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL in an attempt to open the the Task Manager doesn't work. I turn of the PC by pressing the power button.

Remember there are 2 hard discs connected now in the PC, Master and Slave, both are SATA.

When I turn it on, the blinking starts again.
I try removing the original hard drive (the one I slaved) and still it doesn't boot correctly. I try booting either of them alone, still nothing,
I don't think it is a virus problem, because I installed Sophos and had it updated straight after the OS, and if I had connected the slave hard disk it could had detected it.

these are things I have tried.

1.Removed RAM card and placed back in
2.Removed CMOS battery
3.Reset CMOS jumper on board, (when I did this it boots up and says CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR DEFAULTS LOADED PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE OR F10 TO ENTER BOOT MENU) I try both keys and still nothing happens, it still is blinking
4. Remove all IDE and SATA connections + RAM and boot, still nothing
5.Try Restore Disc to format again, still nothing

Now I am really lost and need help, please anybody out there who has encountered the same problem and found a way around it. PLEASE HELP ME. ITS STILL BLINKING.
Thank you in advance.

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

It's a Compaq system...did you check the Compaq support site?

From what I see, HP system have proprietary boot mechanisms...which isn't necessarily good for what may be the problem.

My guess is that the MBR is damaged, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503. Using the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console of a MS Genuine XP CD...is the normal cure.

But you have a Compaq and I don't know if that command would be effective with your system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2010 - 08:29 AM.

#3 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thank you Hamluis,
but there is no way that I can select boot options for a CD or anything, it just starts up as blinking. No matter what CD I put in to try to boot it but to no avail.key F1 and F10 are no good everything goes back to the blinking state. I am truly confused, i have never come across anything like this yet when fixing computers.
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

Are you saying that you cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot order?

Louis

#5 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Try this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00746649&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1844701&prodTypeId=12454

EDIT
This is not your issue, but it might lead you to the fix

Edited by nitekram, 28 October 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#6 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

Are you saying that you cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot order?

Louis

I just cant get anywhere at all.......its just me and the blinking....
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#7 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

Try this link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00746649&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1844701&prodTypeId=12454

EDIT
This is not your issue, but it might lead you to the fix

Thanks nitekram, I checked the link, pressed the F10 key at start-up but still nothing, anyway thank you very much for your help.
JDUKZE

anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

I guess that I don't understand...why you reconnected a hard drive which you thought was bad.

XP often has problems booting...if a failing hard drive is attached, IME. But...if that were the problem...it would have gone away once the drive was disconnected.

Anyway, hang on...I've requested assistance from the more knowledgeable :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

If I might add, once you have gotten to the black screen with blicking cursor, the bios post has come and gone, you have missed it.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 noahdfear

noahdfear

New Bremen Bulldog

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,870 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:57 PM

Disconnect both hard drives and try booting from a cd or bootable usb device. If the behavior is the same, shutdown, unplug the machine then remove the CMOS battery for at least 1 minute (use the reset jumper if you know how) then try booting again.
Dave

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:25 AM

Also,
Have you tried a different keyboard?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users