Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nano567

nano567

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hello! :thumbsup:

I have a DELL computer that yesterday it didnt want to start, it would but the screen stayed black
i took out the CMOS battery and still no luck.

This computer had accumulated dust all over.

the Fan works, so does the Power Supply fan and i can hear the Hard drive disc moving.
i can also see an orange light instead of the green light on the power LED button.
there is also a green LED on the motherbeard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

Do you hear a single beep noise or a pattern of different beeps?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:04 AM

What is the model of this Dell?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nano567

nano567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

thank you guys for the response :thumbsup:

unfortunately no beeping noises that i could recognize right off the bat.
and the model for this dell is Dimension 4600

#5 Don Zone

Don Zone

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

In my opinion first of all please check to see if the monitor is on and is receiving power, most monitors when they have power, but no connection or connection problems with the computer will display a message that says this monitor is working, but make sure you check your cables. So the next logical step to take would be to check the cable to make sure it is properly connected and secured to the VGA slot behind your computer case and to make sure the monitor cable is plugged into the monitor.
Since everything is connected to the motherboard certain parts may or may not work correctly if the motherboard is faulty, so just be sure to test those parts before thinking they're dead and getting new ones.
* Be sure to do a visual inspection of the motherboard to make sure all cables are seated properly, the fans are spinning, and that the CMOS battery is in it's proper place.
* Also you must check for any broken or leaking capacitors, those can immediately render a motherboard dead.
* You also have to make sure that all of the jumpers are set correctly as well, you should be able to find jumper information in your motherboard's manual, and if you don't have the manual you should be able to find the manual on the Internet at the motherboard manufacturer's website.
I hope this helps and I really hope that you get what you need.
Regards

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hello I wish to add some support to this forum.

Hopefully your computer is just the model number 4600, because there is a 4600C model as well.

Here is the main support page for your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml&SystemID=DIM_P4_4600

Now here is the one related to computer not starting up and relates to the colored lights on the power button. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=361764&l=en&s=dhs

You may want to pay close attention to step number 4.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

There is a four LED diagnostic display on the rear of the computer. If you go to this site you will see the different LED patterns and what they indicate.

Please post back what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

One of the other problems that this model seems to experience is the PSU failing.

You posted that you computer is full of dust. This could be a good part of your problem as this can result in overheating. I would suggest purchasing some canned air, like Dustoff, and blow out the interior of the case. Pay particular attention to the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU. Make sure to blow out the PSU as well.

#9 nano567

nano567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thank you guys for your help! :thumbsup:

i saw the light code first and it turns out all 4 LED are off on the computer and it gives me this message:

The computer is in a normal off condition or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred.

the computer is not off because i can hear the fans moving including the PSU fan so am guessing is a Pre-Bios failure..

how can i go about a Pre-Bios failure?

also bruce i dont have anything connected except the monitor :flowers:

#10 nano567

nano567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

Hello! :thumbsup:

Well the computer doesnt want to turn on anymore...

i tried to re-seat the CPU and RAM sticks and also the video card but no luck
the motherboard has the green LED on but no fans moving or anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users