Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware grabbing email addresses from my pc?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Leafgreen

Leafgreen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

I run my own mail servers on the shared hosting account with Hostmonster. I have the default or catch-all option enabled on one domain name, and have sent and received emails from a couple of hundred email addresses ("EAs") in the catch-all format. Ex: x@y.com where x = a variety of characters and y is my domain. I use Outlook 2007 with all the monthly patches applied.

Suddenly I am receiving spams to many of these x@y.com EAs.

It appears that some program on my pc is reading these EAs. I thought it was a one-time security breach, where at one time a program captured the EAs from my Outlook folders, safe senders list, etc. But it seems to be still installed on my pc, because new EAs recently used for the first time have been spammed.

I have run several anti-malware and anti-virus progs that have found nothing. :thumbsup: Any suggestions on where to look to find and delete this program, please?

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2010 - 08:23 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users