Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'activate windows' screen after running corrupt registry fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pianoship

Pianoship

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

My computer's been out of commission for quite some time now. Roommate's father seems to think that it's the hard drive going; every few weeks I was getting the corrupt system file message. I'd run this fix for it, it would work fine for a week or two, and then I'd get the message again. I haven't touched it in months... probably since April, but now that I have a new hard drive and a copy of Windows 7, I'm trying to get back into my computer to back up all my files.

I ran that same fix again, and made certain I followed all directions to the tee, but when I go to start step four, I'm asked to activate Windows. I don't remember this ever happening the last few times I've done the fix; it won't allow me to activate Windows online, and I don't currently have a phone. I'm just worrying that I've done something wrong. Is this normal? If not, where have I possibly gone wrong? Worse still, have I completely lost my chances of backing up my data?

My computer is an eMachines W3619. If I recall correctly, I'm running XP SP3. I'm sorry, it's been months since the computer's been in a working state.

Edited by Pianoship, 26 October 2010 - 11:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hi Pianoship, Welcome to BleepingComputer.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pianoship

Pianoship
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

My apologies~ It's an eMachines W3619.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Unfortunately, that computer doesn't have more than the one hdd storage bay, so you can't install the two of them. Since you have the new hdd and W7, I would suggest going ahead and install both, at least you will have your computer up and running.

Unless the hdd is dead, you should still be able to retrieve your data from it. There are a couple of ways to do this. One way is to purchase an external case to put the hdd in and then access the files from there on your computer. You can purchase an external enclosure for $11.98 delivered from Newegg.

Another way would be to install it in another computer that has a second storage bay and transfer you files to a flash drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users