Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Turn on Windows firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DRF

DRF

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

I am working on a friends computer that was infected with Fake Antivirus, and probably a few others before I got involved. I was able to succussfully remove the Fake AV using MBAM and additional scans with MBAM indicate no infections. However, windows security center says the firewall is disabled and when I try to enable there is a notice that "Some settings are controlled by Group Policy" and the On selection is greyed out. The OS is Windows XP Home edition SP3. I am aware that GP is not available on XP home, and to the best of my knowledge, this machine has never been on a domain although the AV software they have loaded is Norton Corporate Edition. I am currently running using msconfig to disable all Startup items only Microsoft services enabled. Starting in normal mode the computer still runs slowly. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 DRF

DRF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the reply Orange Blossom!

As it turns out, I am just going to re-image this PC to factory default. (With modified partitions)
It only has a 15GB system partition (which in 2003 was acceptable) and we're getting low disk space notifications. It's a 150GB drive so I have no idea why Sony thought it was a good idea to set the default system partition to 15GB and allocate the rest to a separate partition.
I have a good backup of their user data (scanned multiple times with multiple scanners of course) on an external drive.
This approach should solve all of the existing issues.

Thanks again, we can close this one!

Edited by DRF, 01 November 2010 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users