Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why is my internet speed better on a farther server?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike505

mike505

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

Why is my Ping and Speedtest results better on a server that's farther away?

Here's my speedtest results from a close server: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1005811441.png
Here's my speedtest results from a father server: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1005813505.png

Here's my Ping from a farther server: http://www.pingtest.net/result/26835166.png

Is there a way to change what server my internet is on so I can get faster internet? Also, why are the results better from a server that's farther away?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Because the server that is farther away is most likely faster and has a better connection to the internet. I can do a speed test on a server in japan and get a better speed than one that is 1 mile away it just depends on the line speed and how many people are testing at that one time.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Besides the factors Computerxpds mentioned. Some other factors include over all physical line condition and age. = wire, cable, fiber optic, etc. condition. How many hops = going through a switch, server, etc.
Overall busyness of the Internet as a whole.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

I also believe the Denver server is hosted by Comcast, so chances are you aren't leaving their network to test.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

I also believe the Denver server is hosted by Comcast, so chances are you aren't leaving their network to test.

You do have a point. :thumbsup: :flowers:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 mike505

mike505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It was really helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users