Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install network printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

I'm trying to get my macbook to print to my KM 2300DL Magicolor which is ethernet linked to my wireless router. I also have a Brother HL-4070CD ethernet linked to the router and mac sorta set that one up all by itself and I've printed to it w/out any problem.

The KM 2300DL doesn't have any mac drivers, but supposedly the drivers for the 2430DL work. So I installed that driver and then tried to add the printer in printer&fax preferences. I have 3 choices of protocols when I go to add a printer - internet printing protocol, line printer daemon & hpjetdirect-socket. I have 3 choices for Print Using - Generic Postcript Printer, Generic PCL Laser Printer and Choose Software. If I try auto detect, preferences chooses the postscript printer. Regardless of what options I choose to add the printer, when I try to print from Pages I get an "unable to connect" message in the print queue box.

When I checked the KM's IP address in the router's webpage so I could put it in add printer it had changed from its usual, altho the brother's ip address hadn't. However, when I put the new KM address in the browser it took me to the brother printer. When I put the old KM address in it took me to the KM's info page. When I checked the router's webpage from my pc it showed the KM's old address. I don't know what that's about. I tried both IP addresses in add printer and neither worked. I haven't used all possible option combinations w/ both ip addresses.

When I went to File > Print in Pages after installing the KM driver the KM Magicolor 2300DL was listed along w/ the Brother - altho only the brother was listed in preferences. When I selected the KM and tried to add it from Pages I got a "can't locate software" message. Altho installing the driver seemed to make Pages recognize the printer - and it's recognizing the 2300 & not the 2430.

I installed both the Brother & Magicolor to my windows network from their cds choosing the install to network option. The manuals weren't clear on what I was installing but it worked well. I could always print from whichever windows computer was working that day to either printer.

So, can someone tell me what protocol I should be using and whether I should choose the KM2430 software or a generic printer for Print Using. Any idea how to get the mac to print to the 2300?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

Have you seen this thread? Might be more if you run a search there.

I don't know about this one. It might give you some ideas tho.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Buddyme2

No one is exactly clear in those threads what they are doing. A couple mentioned getting the printer to work using the hpjetdirect sockets protocol option, but it didn't work for me. I have the 2430 10.6 driver v1.9.0 and my firmware version is 02.85S - supposed to be > 2.09 - so I think I have the right driver and my firmware is updated enough. Whatever options I pick in add printer, when I go to print I get a printer paused message and clicking the resume button doesn't make it resume. I googled IPP and LPD, but I couldn't find anything that covered what protocol mac uses in what situation. It seems like it would matter which protocol you used. Print Using might work w/ both a generic driver and Printer Software - I'd expect the Printer Software to work better. Like providing options for duplex trays.

In Windows I never used postscript drivers as far as I know. I think the 2300 can use them, but you have to use a program like Adobe on the pc - as I understood it it's a 2 sided process w/ postscript fonts installed on the pc and a postscript-capable printer.

I thought an SDK was a developer's kit. Never used one of those. Zenographics seems to be a printing or printer company, but I couldn't get to it via google. That method is too advanced for me.

I'll read some more on mac networking and mac printing and try again later. Office 2011 for mac is out, but there's no trial download yet. I don't want to buy w/out trying in case it's too different from Word 2002/3 and doesn't do what I want. So it will be awhile before I switch to printing from the tablet pc to the mac.

One thing I couldn't find in Add printer was a way to check what protocol an already added printer is using. The Brother printer installed itself so I don't know what protocol it uses. Is there a way to get that info?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

IDK if you seen this info from here.

-IP printers have three printing protocols to choose from. Select the appropriate option for your printer.
-HP Jetdirect Socket: HP and many other printer manufactures use this protocol.
-Line Printer Daemon LPD: Earlier printers and printer servers may use this protocol.
-Internet Printing Protocol IPP: Modern printers and printer servers use this protocol.

-Note: If you pick a protocol other than HP Jetdirect Socket, you will not be able to gather printer info. You will have to manually select the PPD and installable options.

You can get some info of a printer from Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > Printers, but IDK if it lists the protocol used for the printer.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the link. I read it and the articles it was linked to and got the printer to print.

Here's what I was doing wrong - I was in the IP instead of Default window in the Add printer box. The KM is apparently a bonjour capable printer and was "advertising" its presence - which I guess is why it showed up in Pages & TextEditor under nearby printers. The mac & KM must have been "talking" to each other for the KM 2300DL to be listed. One uses the other protocols - IPP, LPD & HP - if the printer doesn't support bonjour and guesses per the printer's age/type according to the list in your post .

I've noticed that when the KM goes into Energy Saver mode it sometimes goes offline - I've had to go turn it off and back on to get it to print. At some point in my add printer efforts I clicked on Default [and Windows] but didn't see the printer - probably turned on the mac after the KM had been on awhile.

This time I turned on the KM after I turned on the mac and I knew to go to Default. I selected the KM 2300 listed in the left pane and then I got a dialog box from which I chose printer software in Print Using and used the search box to pick out the KM 2430 in the long list of driver software. Then I printed.

Print queue is used differently than I'm used to. In mac talk it seems to stand for "installed printer". I read that PostScript Printer Description includes non-postscript drivers. I was also confused about bonjour from my reading and wasn't sure until now it was used in my network. System Info > printers doesn't include protocols used, but now that I understand better I don't need that info.

One problem with both the Brother & KM is that the options one can choose are limited. I can't choose color vs black only or the type of stock used. With the KM I can't choose all odd or all even pages- the KM doesn't have a duplex tray so I duplex manually by printing the odds then flipping the stack over, choosing reverse print and printing the evens. I frequently print 20+ page docs, occasionally 50+ page docs so those options count. Also the KM seems to appreciate it if I warn it when I'm using heavy stock.

Does one have to buy special mac-type printers to get those kinds of options? Do printer manufacturers skimp on their mac drivers or does the mac os api not allow those options?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users