Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc scannow corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Optic9

Optic9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi there,

i've recently had various problems with my computer. I did a clean install of windows 7 home edition earlier today to try and solve a couple of issues I had and when it first booted windows, I downloaded firefox and an antivirus scanner. I was able to run them. When windows installed updates and prompted me to restart, I did so. Only now, they won't run, although internet explorer will. I get the loading icon on the cursor but nothings loads, although it does show up under processes on task manager. I've also tried to use uninstall programs to uninstall them, but when I try to access the uninstall programs option under control panel, control panel freezes and I have to close it through task manager.

I ran a scan from sfc \scannow and it returned that windows has corrupt files but was unable to fix them. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about this area of computing and so wouldn't be able to say whether they were linked, but neither are good. How can I fix these? Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Edited by Optic9, 26 October 2010 - 02:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Try to run the sfc /scannow command from safe mode. To reboot in safe mode, open start menu, type msconfig and press enter. On the boot tab, check Safe boot and ensure minimal is selected. Restart. When safe mode start, select Yes to start in safe mode. Open start menu, type cmd.exe, right click on it, select run as admin. Run "sfc /scannow" from there. It should work from there.

If it can't fix itself, the best would be to do a clean install if you are at ease with this. You can however also do a repair install.

Good luck.

Edited by pominator, 26 October 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#3 Optic9

Optic9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Multiple programs now refuse to load, I get the loading cursor but nothing. I've now tried downloading superantispyware and ad-aware and both have been prevented from finishing, will try re-installing in safe mode. Pretty certain at this point that it's a virus.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

IF YOU USE MSCONFIG TO BOOT INTO SAFE MODE:

When you finish in safe mode, you will have to go back to msconfig and UNCHECK Safe boot in order to boot back into normal Windows mode.

It isn't recommended to use msconfig to boot into safe mode. In the past, we've had posters set msconfig for safe mode, and when they rebooted the only thing they got was "we are sorry for the inconvenience" and an endless reboot loop. There have also been other problems associated with using safe boot in msconfig.

Use F8 instead. If you need instructions on getting into safe mode read this tutorial-How to start Windows in Safe Mode

#5 Optic9

Optic9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Managed to install superantispyware which detected 48 tracking cookies (unpleasant as they are I can't see them being the reason for the failings, correct me if i'm wrong). Ad-Aware couldn't install because it told me to install microsoft c++ runtime which I couldn't do in safe mode, then I read your comment and decided to get out while I can still actually use the computer. What else can I do?

Update - forgot to add I can no longer use avast because it was password protected and when I put my password in it tells me it was the wrong password, although I never changed it

Edited by Optic9, 26 October 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#6 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Optic9, if you are still in safe mode, you should try to uninstall programs you could not uninstall in normal mode from there.

After, you need to restart in normal mode (as also explained by Queen-Evie). To do so, in safe mode, open Start menu, type msconfig and press Enter. From there go on the Boot tab, uncheck Safe mode and click OK. Click OK to reboot. I'm sorry if my procedure to enter safe mode have caused you confusion. You should be able to run Ad-Aware and Avast normally then I think so. You are right about tracking cookies they don't do harm.

If you think you are infected, you need to start a new topic in the Am I infected? forum.

#7 Optic9

Optic9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

Many thanks for your help. Eventually through a clean install I found the problem, my sound card drivers were out of date, which is odd because they never played up before. Was only after I installed them it stopped working, so did a system restore and everything is fine now. Thank you both!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

I would highly recommend that you perform better maintenance on your machine that includes the following:

1) Windows Update Set to Automatc

2) Upgrade your drivers, and check for updates on a regular basis like once every month.

3) Perform malware/spyware scans once a month with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Super Anti-Spyware, which are free by the way.

4) Other software updates as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users