Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keylogger

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kaleb derek

kaleb derek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

hello, id like to make sure that my pc is free from any keyloggers, after running a est online scan and also this trojan scan i ran on this site
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ it found hacker wacker and anoher keylogger which i removed

whats scary is after i looked up some videos on youtube about keylogger theres actually some really good updated keyloggers which can not be detected by anti virus softwares , by the way i think my norton 360 sux cause it never detected what the est online scan and the other trojan scan detected

also if u can briefly explain how they work please (keylogger), and i gotta couple questions too
1. can people put a keylogger on your pc by jsut sending you an email and all you have to do is open the email? (I saw on youtube)
2. the keylogger that take screen shots , doesnt your pc slow down since theres a software running to take screen shots and is there any way to feel it? like the pc lagging or something?
3. are the keystrokes that are just being recorded? and if you enter a password without typing it are those being recorded as well? lets say on aim messenger
4. if a keylogger is running, will it always be under the task manager under the proccesses tab? or it doesnt have to appear there?
5. if someone was to copy and paste there passwords off a document will the keylogger still capture it?
6. does the keylogger work specifically for all programs like aim messenger, skype etc.. where it saves the username and password even if someone was to copy and paste the passwords.
7. are those anti keylogger programs worth getting?

please help, thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

A keylogger builds a log of everything typed into a keyboard to be reviewed by a third party. Keyloggers can be used for legitimate purposes to troubleshoot networks, analyze employee productivity, or to assist law enforcement, for example; or they can be used for illegitimate purposes to surreptitiously spy on people for personal gain.

What is a Keylogger?

A keylogger is a type of surveillance software (considered to be either software or spyware) that has the capability to record every keystroke you make to a log file, usually encrypted. A keylogger recorder can record instant messages, e-mail, and any information you type at any time using your keyboard. The log file created by the keylogger can then be sent to a specified receiver. Some keylogger programs will also record any e-mail addresses you use and Web site URLs you visit. Keyloggers, as a surveillance tool, are often used by employers to ensure employees use work computers for business purposes only. Unfortunately, keyloggers can also be embedded in spyware allowing your information to be transmitted to an unknown third party.

Keylogger Defined

Keylogging, surveillance and monitoring programs can have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user, business IT tech or administrator has knowingly installed them. Even a parent may use a keylogging program to record their children's online activities or a suspicious spouse might install one keep track of their partner. For more information about various types of keyloggers and the methods they use, please refer to Keystroke logging.

Keep in mind that some legitimate programs are often detected by anti-virus or anti-malware scans as a "Risk Tool", "Hacking Tool", "Potentially Unwanted Program", or even "Malware" when that is not always the case. Potentially unwanted does not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. However, there are malicious keyloggers as described in Introduction to Spyware Keyloggers.

So the first thing I have to ask is the program considered legitimate and if you did not install the program, is it possible that your parents or another member of your family installed it?

Since keylogging, surveillance and monitoring programs can have legitimate uses, there can be potential legal ramifications when assisting someone with installing or removing these types of programs. Even a recommendation could be construed as a gray area some attorneys would not hesitate to explore in order to seek successful litigation.

As such, most security forums will hesitate to get involved. A simple Google search should yield the information you seek without jeopardizing a staff member of the site you are asking questions. Our response is not intended to imply that any specific situation invokes legal concerns, but merely that it is impossible for us to make the determination as to the computer's ownership and who has what authority in any given situation.

Thank you for understanding.

Edited by quietman7, 27 October 2010 - 08:20 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users