Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x000000ED, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

This XP (SP3) laptop has stopped booting into Windows. You see the XP flag and loading bar, then it BSOD's with the above stop code and error of "unmountable boot volume."

I have retrieved the files off of the volume using a live linux distro. That tells me the file system should be intact, and that the problem is probably the boot record. To wit, I've loaded up the recovery console and run chkdsk /p, chkdsk /r, fixboot, and fixmbr. Each time, I'm put back to the BSOD on boot.

Is my next step to test for hardware failure? Or does the hard drive just need to be wiped and rebuilt from scratch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Well...if chkdsk /r could not overcome it...I would run the appropriate (long) hard drive diagnostic.

Not all hard drives...can be repaired.

Louis

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

Sorry for the lack of reply.

The hard drive passed the original manuf. diagnostic. However, after a low-level format, using same tool, the hard drive reported failures. It's been replaced and everything is fine now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for posting feedback, glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users