Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox seems to also open safari

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Firefox 3.6.11, safari 5.2 on mac os 10.6.4

Never mind. Whatever made it act funny has gone away.

I opened firefox by clicking on its dock icon, which is next to safari. When Command+Tabing between Firefox, Pages, Finder I saw that Safari was also open. Command+tab would change the name of the app in the menu bar from Firefox to Safari, but both Safari & Firefox had the same two tabs open. When I closed Safari Firefox also closed

I reopened Firefox being careful to just click its icon and again I have Safari open in my Command+Tab choices with this same page in both browsers. When I switch between Firefox and Safari the cursor disappears from this reply box and typing a letter gets me a funny sound. Tab back to Firefox and I can start typing again.

I've had both Firefox and Safari open at once before, but with different pages. Closing one didn't close the other.

I think Safari is my default browser - at least pagemanager online help opens in safari. I don't have the "always check that firefox is the default browser" checked in firefox preference/options. When I clicked on the Safari dock icon it opened safari to its homepage. Command + ` didn't tab between 2 safari windows. When I closed that Safari I still have the Safari in my Command + Tab choices.

Any idea what's going on? Once I post this I'm going to try Quit on the Safari dock icon and see what happens.

Edited by MaryBet82, 26 October 2010 - 07:23 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:41 AM

When closing Safari do you click on the red bubble on the top left of Safari or do you quit Safari from it's menu or use the Command + Q keys when Safari is the topmost open app? Clicking on the red bubble just closes the Safari window but it is still running. That might be why it's still showing up when you use the Command + Tab keys.
Don't know why Safari also opens along with Firefox. I tried it but it didn't get the same result as you.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

I don't know why Safari seemed linked w/ Firefox yesterday for awhile. I quit from the dock icons after closing the windows via the bubble when I first noticed that safari had opened w/ firefox, seemed to have the same tabs and that closing safari [via the bubble] closed firefox. I quit both safari and firefox via their dock icons and then opened firefox and it happened again.
Whatever it was, tho, it went away after I quit both again, went & worked on my pc and then came back. Some little thingamabob must have needed a little rest.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

wierd. Usually macs require you to close an app from the menu up at the top to close it in its entirety. I haven't had that happen to me.

do you have the open when logging in option on???

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

No I don't have anything set to open when I log in.

I think what happened is that I hadn't quit from Safari via the dock icon as I thought I did. I probably quit Mail instead. I noticed later that I was getting those icons confused.[Don't ask me why, other than that they are next to each other and both blue] So I'd only shut the window and not quit the Safari app as Buddyme2 suggested. I've noticed since that when I'm command tabbing thru my apps I can have one app in the menu bar while another app is taking up all the screen real estate - depending on the size of the windows of the different apps. It's confusing for a new mac'er/old pc'er. I'm very used to having all my windows set to max and quickly alt-tabbing thru all open windows on my pcs and, of course, your menu bars are in each window in a pc.

Off topic I do vote for an alt-tab thru all open windows for the mac even tho I'm getting better at alternating Command + tab and Command + ~.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users