Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow net connection, no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ShanyiBacsi

ShanyiBacsi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

Greetings all.
In the past few days I'm having a problem with my ADSL connection. To put it briefly, it's VERY slow for no apparent reason.
Posted Image
You see, I'm from Hungary. My ISP is Magyar Telekom, and I've got a guaranteed speed of 1Mb/s, and a maximum of 5Mb/s. Before this problem I was around 3Mb/s, rarely reaching 5. Now it's common to have a >1Mb/s speed.
It's the same if I use my router or not. There are 2 PCs at home, both having the same slow speed. A friend of mine tried this: He plugged the ethernet cable into his Dell notebook, and he had maximum speed.
Also, I have a "limited or no connectivity" error with my local connection.
Checked with Ad-aware and Spybot S&D, neither found anything.
If you folks need any information about my PC (and probably you will), don't hesitate to ask, I'm going to check this often. Also, I'm not very similar with these kind of problems, so please don't assume too much.
Thanks for your time.
-Sanyi

EDIT: Sorry for posting in wrong forum.

Edited by ShanyiBacsi, 26 October 2010 - 12:29 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

It sounds like you may have a MTU set wrong. Find out what the optimum MTU setting is for your ISP and then check to see if your pc matches it.

#3 ShanyiBacsi

ShanyiBacsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

I sniffed around a bit, for example what the hell is MTU, and the likes. After browsing a lot of forums, I've found the solution(s), and now I'm getting maximum speed.
So, thanks for your help Retirednow. :]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users