Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need more power?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Hiya folks,

I'm currently shopping for a new CPU and a pair of video cards to extend the life of my rig for a couple of more years. The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not I should also get a new PSU to compensate for the new parts. First of all, here are the current specs of my rig:

PSU: CoolMax CUG-700B 700 Watts (older model, bought in Jan. 2007)
Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI
CPU: E6600 Conroe 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo (OC'ed to 3.4)
RAM: 6 GB Corsair Dominator (tweaked to 378mhz for 1:1 ratio w/CPU)
Video Card: 2 EVGA Akimbo Superclocked 8800GT

I'm planning to upgrade the CPU to E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 and the video cards to a pair of EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked (Fermi).

With the mods I've done to my computer, the current PSU works just fine with no problems. Now, do you think I should also bump up my PSU to handle the new parts as well as the mods I plan to do? (I figured 850W is plenty safe and allows for future builds). I'd much rather stay with the current PSU in the interest of saving money, though.

Thanks buds
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

Power wise, you should be fine with that PSU, however, hardware wise, no, that video card-if Im not mistaken takes 2 6 pin PCI express power cables per card. That Power supply only has 2 total, so you will either have to find more PCI express cables (its modular) adaptors from molex to PCI express or a different PSU.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

newegg shows 1 6 pin and an adapter to make another from a regular power connector

There are 3 models of that card, they seem to be discontinued tho

Edited by DaChew, 26 October 2010 - 03:11 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users