Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows XP Pro SP3# on a computer with Windows XP Home SP 2

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sweets

sweets

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:03 AM

I have the CD to do this but I'd like to know how to do it without mistakes. I'm using dialup with Netzero, Avast 5.0 A-V. I'm not sure if i have the product key for the Windows XP Home that's already on this computer. It may have been reinstalled from another CD. Where can I find the product key if it's not the one that came with this computer originally?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

you can find a program called 'magic jellybean finder' that will find that for you, right here at bleepingcomputer
in the 'all other applications' category 'freeware replacements for common commercial apps'.

this is one of the best threads on the web.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

The home key won't work with the pro disk, you must use the right home disk to repair or perform a clean install and use that key found by majicjellybean.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

To ascertain your product key...download SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/ and then double-click the siw.exe file.

After a few seconds you will get a window displaying various line items.

The key applicable to your system...will be revealed under the Software/Licenses button.

You do know that you need a valid license for XP Pro...to install it...on a system that came with XP Home, right?

Louis

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

When you say you have the CD with it. Just what are the contents of the CD? Is it SP3 only? Or XP with SP3?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Why do you want to upgrade to Pro?
Basically the only difference is networking
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

To ascertain your product key...download SIW System Information for Windows - http://www.gtopala.com/ and then double-click the siw.exe file.

After a few seconds you will get a window displaying various line items.

The key applicable to your system...will be revealed under the Software/Licenses button.

You do know that you need a valid license for XP Pro...to install it...on a system that came with XP Home, right?

Louis

I went to http://www.gtopala.com, I do not see anything that says "siw.exe file

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Towards the bottom of the page. SIW Without Installer (English-Only)

Edited by ThunderZ, 26 October 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Click the bar at the top...Purchase/Download.

Scroll down to the freeware version.

Click the button that says SIW Without Installer, that is the .exe file.

Download it to your desktop.

When download is complete...double-click the file.

Louis

#10 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thanks I got the product key for my Windows XP Home Edition with the help of your free download. I have the CD "Windows XP ProfessionalFor Refurbished PCs includes Service Pack 3". Is it now ok to install this on my computer? I dont have the product key for this CD

#11 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

My fault.
i should have been paying closer attention to what you are doing.

the xp pro disk needs a different key than you have. the magicjellybean finds the key for the operating system on your hard drive.
don't continue unless one of these guys that knows something that i don't, tells you that it will work.
i don't think it will.

let's say you have the installation disk for the operating system on your hard drive, but the COA sticker is damaged and unreadable, and you need to reinstall. you need the COA key. this program furnishes you with the COA.

the installation asks for a COA, and you don't have the correct one. the installation won't continue.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

It is not OK. You cannot legally install any version of XP...without the appropriate license.

Louis

#13 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

and that unique license code can only go on one computer.

#14 sweets

sweets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

About 10 days ago my Gmail account stopped loading its standard version and now only basic HTML will load. This version is useless and wont let me open any emails. I tried the Help forum for Gmail but they didn't seem to know why. I'm thinking its either the fact that I'm still using Internet Explorer 6 or the fact that I have not gone beyond Service Pack 2 because I have a dialup connection and do not wish to download hours worth of MBs to update to SP3. I figured this CD,Windows XP Professional for refurbished PCs with SP3 would solve the problem. If anyone is sure that Internet Explorer 6 is the reason why I can't get standard Gmail again please let me know, if Internet Explorer 7 will solve this problem and what I have to do before I download IE 7. Again I'm using Windows XP Home version 2002, Avast 5.0, do I stop Avast to download IE 7? What else need I do before hand.

Edited by sweets, 26 October 2010 - 05:02 PM.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi Sweets

Do you by chance have access to the Internet through a friend or Family with high-speed?

8 is the most recent vers. of IE. Not sure if this will cure your Gmail problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users