Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerned about possible maleware on Server

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MLambert

MLambert

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Ok. I'm running a Small Business Server 2003 for a company of under 100 people, under 50 computers. We are spread between five sites with six connections through VPN to the main site. Recently people have started complaining about major slow downs in the network.

This all started on Thursday when two computers at one of the sites stopped being able to run internet explorer. It simply would not function and was forced to be terminated to get past. I tried running Spybot, Malware Bytes, SuperAnti Spyware and Combo Fix (this was before I knew about this site. I got Combo Fix through a collegue without instructions, so please don't hold it against me. I didn't save the log anyway since it means nothing to me.) In any case Malware Bytes couldn't update after being installed. After running SuperAnti Spyware in safemode it came up with 78 hits, but after cleaning them out the problem persisted. Internet Explorer worked perfectly fine in safe mode, however. I then tried running a Windows Repair which also didn't fix it. Finally I formatted both computers and installed them from scratch, so unfortunately there is nothing left on them to work with or identify.

By Monday people in other groups were complaining of uncommon slowness. I went on the server and installed Malware Bytes and SuperAnti Spyware. Malware Bytes can't update, claiming I don't have rights as the Admin on the Server. SuperAnti Spyware starts running, then whether I update it or not, just shuts off once it's fully loaded, so I'm unable to use it.

Between the general slowness and the Anti Malware programs failing it sounds to me like I have something running rampant on my Server. I don't know how to find it, though, or what to do about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users