Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:54 AM
Ok. I'm running a Small Business Server 2003 for a company of under 100 people, under 50 computers. We are spread between five sites with six connections through VPN to the main site. Recently people have started complaining about major slow downs in the network.
This all started on Thursday when two computers at one of the sites stopped being able to run internet explorer. It simply would not function and was forced to be terminated to get past. I tried running Spybot, Malware Bytes, SuperAnti Spyware and Combo Fix (this was before I knew about this site. I got Combo Fix through a collegue without instructions, so please don't hold it against me. I didn't save the log anyway since it means nothing to me.) In any case Malware Bytes couldn't update after being installed. After running SuperAnti Spyware in safemode it came up with 78 hits, but after cleaning them out the problem persisted. Internet Explorer worked perfectly fine in safe mode, however. I then tried running a Windows Repair which also didn't fix it. Finally I formatted both computers and installed them from scratch, so unfortunately there is nothing left on them to work with or identify.
By Monday people in other groups were complaining of uncommon slowness. I went on the server and installed Malware Bytes and SuperAnti Spyware. Malware Bytes can't update, claiming I don't have rights as the Admin on the Server. SuperAnti Spyware starts running, then whether I update it or not, just shuts off once it's fully loaded, so I'm unable to use it.
Between the general slowness and the Anti Malware programs failing it sounds to me like I have something running rampant on my Server. I don't know how to find it, though, or what to do about it.