Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinkpoint administration problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 j_robi

j_robi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys

I'm aware that this virus has been brought up a fair bit recently, but I can't solve with what I've found online thus far.

the thinkpoint virus has invaded my vista laptop earlier today. Just getting a blue thinkpoint screen on log on only giving me the option of 'safe startup'.
I initially clicked on the 'safe start up'- but quickly realised my error -so shut the laptop down.

I have been into task manager and deleted hotfix.exe
But it will not allow me to close csrss.exe -which i believe is connected
or type explorer.exe in the 'new task' option- both of these are refused- saying i do not have appropriate permissions to access them

I've looked at the bleeping computer guide, I've completed the steps up to 7, but at 8 I get the problems as mentioned above

(6. Once the hotfix.exe process is higlighted, click on the End Process button. When you press this button, Windows will ask if you are sure you want to terminate the process. You should press the Yes button to terminate it.

7. ThinkPoint will now be terminated and you will be at a blank screen with Task Manager running. Now click on the File menu and select New Task (Run...) from the menu.

8. When the Create New Task prompt appears, type explorer.exe into the Open: field and press the OK button. After a minute or so you should be back at your Windows desktop.)- ie I can't get to ,y desktop as it won't gibe the the administrative access- i imagine this is connected to the virus

any help appreciated

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users