Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access files on USB thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 3ric

3ric

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

Hello,

I have a flash drive that a user gave me. It has a 200MB partition that she can access, but it also has a 3.75GB which she cannot. The second (3.75GB) partition does not mount by itself. I have tried a few pieces of software to see what was on that 3.75GB (Find and Mount, Minitool Partition Wizard Pro [trial], Disk Manager), but I have failed to see what was on there. I also tried to merge the two partitions with Minitool, but both partitions need to be NTFS and the second partition is FAT32. When I try to change the second partition to NTFS with Minitool, but the option is greyed out. Thanks for any help!

3ric

Edit: I am using Windows XP SP3, and this is a PNY 4GB thumb drive

Edited by 3ric, 26 October 2010 - 07:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

That is very likely a protected recovery partition. It contains an exact software image of the PC as it was when it was first produced\bought.

Some manufacturers protect it as it is not meant for any other reason then to restore the PC to it`s original operating state.
You can read more about it either in the documentation included at the time of purchase or by visiting the manufacturers website and looking up the particular make and model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users