Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best/Most inexpensive Hard Drive Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hey friends,

My hard drive in one of my machines crashed, and, I was able to get it out last night. What is the best place (that won't cost me an arm/leg) to send it to so they can get the data off of it?

Also, for the files that were located in my Outlook (contacts, emails) can I integrate those into my computer/outlook so it will be like there was never a "blank space" of time?

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Well, I don't know about good services online, if you have access to a DVD burner you can try downloading and burning a Ubuntu live Disc, putting the hard drive into the computer and booting up off the live CD (the CD is free, and boots up off your DVD drive and runs off your ram) and many linux distros such as ubuntu will sometimes read a crashed hard drive and be able to get the data off of it. In any case, since its free its worth a shot if you got some time to tinker.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Ubuntu is a good option and free.

A couple other options. Recuva or Find and Mount.

All three options require the drive in question to be attached to another machine. As The_patriot09 stated. Ubuntu will run from the CD. Meaning that the PC containing the troubled hard drive does not need an operating system installed.
The other two programs do need a working PC\operating system and the drive attached to it whether internally or by USB in an enclosure or caddie.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

Not free, but I think highly of GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm.

Louis

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:41 PM

I believe I tried Unbutu a few months back with the Hard drive in the PC it was in.

What if I tried to go buy an external hard drive? Could I put it in there, and then, try to boot off of one of these discs? And, then, would it allow me to read (or attempt to) the hard drive?

For the record, it clicks about 8 times, and then, nothing. It is not recognized in BIOS.

Jeremy

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

If you are getting a clicking and BIOS does not recognize it then it sounds like a mechanical failure of the drive. I am not aware of any free options for data recovery at this point.

#7 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

What would be a good place to send it to?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Some times the hard drive manufacturer offers data recovery. I think.

Otherwise, other then seeing places advertised here and there online I do`t know. Never having had need of the service I can not make any recommendations. I do know it is a pricey procedure. Usually performed in an anti-static clean room environment.

The clicking leads me to believe the read\write head\arm, much like the tone arm on record players is the problem.

Hopefully a member can suggest one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users