Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nature vs Nurture

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _Ben_

_Ben_

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

Just interested in your opinion on the age old question of nature or nurture.

Which do you choose?

What are the reasons for your choice?

Any other comments?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

I would have to say a lot plays in both, some personality quirks are likely genetic, but many are shaped by the way we are raised and our environment. For example, a person growing up in the south is likely to have a southern accent. A person raised in a family that enjoys the outdoors is likely to enjoy hunting, camping, and outdoor sports, while someone raised in the big city is going to prefer spending time at the mall, a person raised on a ranch is likely to like to wear cowboy hats, while someone living in town would prefer a baseball cap. Anyway, just some observations.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:58 PM

Too vague of a question, In my opinion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

I'm kinda fond of

nurturing nature.

Not sure whether that helps with the converstaion though.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

I guess I never really thought the two were mutually exclusive.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

I guess I never really thought the two were mutually exclusive.

Ditto

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

When I first saw the topic title, my first thought was it was a "spelling" question.

If this is an age old question, how the heck did I miss it and.........??
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

With regard to this "age-old question," I would suggest reading a bit about (1) twin studies as well as (2) epigenetics; Nature vs. Nurture is a bit too broad a category to discuss by itself. I would say that some things might be all nature, some all nurture, some mostly nature and less nurture (and vice versa), or about equal - imagine a scale of 1 to 8 where 0 is Nature and 10 is Nurture, and 5 is even. I do not meant to imply that I am highly knowledgeable in this kind of area, or that I read about it often or in detail; I just thought mentioning these ideas would be a good idea, as no one else has yet. :)

#9 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Sometimes, it is neither. Life experiences can be different. In twin studies, often they found the life experiences to be similar, which has a more profound effect than nature or nurture.

Edited by Blathnat, 06 November 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#10 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:52 AM

I should have specified that I tend to view "nature" as genetic factors/influence and "nurture" as environmental factors/influence; life experiences would be part of the latter in the categorization as I understood it. However, I failed to take into account the possibility of alternate classifications; as I said, I am not especially knowledgeable in "nature vs. nurture" nor do I intentionally read or think about it very often. *facepalm* :oopsign:

#11 MsDoolittle

MsDoolittle

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

I understood what you were saying...I did a paper on this a many years ago and did a lot of research on identical twin studies (twins separated at birth, adopted by different families).

It's very interesting, and if you're ever bored, you should read up on it. From what I remember, there were totally eerie similarities with a lot of the twins. We've all read about the twins that go into the same business, marry wives with the same name, etc. and didn't even know that the other existed. I myself think that genetics have a heavier hand in our tendencies, but of course, you can't discount environment totally, either. Anyway, just my couple of cents.

#12 Alexander Caldwell

Alexander Caldwell

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

I will have to bring up balance to this topic as almost everyone does to every topic. I've read articles that lead towards both, here;s what i think. Neuroscience has proven that human babies know how to walk when they are born. Though how they end up walking in their life depends on how they see others walking around them.

Also babies can begin by understanding that any language is a language but as they grow older they become more fine tuned towards the primary language spoken in the house. After this they don't recognize other languages even close to as much as they could. Babies as old as 3 months can do math (not in the traditional sense of the word), they notice when if there is one doll on a shelf and they see you add one they don't really care, but if they see you add one and there are three on the shelf they will become confused.

Basically your brain has plasticity. Your brains structure changes based on what you do in your life. London cab drivers have a larger hippocampus, the area of the brain associated with memory, than most people worldwide. I recommend you research these things for yourself. You will be amazed about some of the things modern neuroscience and biology has lead us to discover.

One final example before i go. A guy who works at an office for 5 years randomly goes out on a killing spree. The reason is linked to a part of his brain misfiring. So both nature and nurture are the case in these incidents.

#13 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

there is a center in the top of the brain you nurture it and it will seek unifaication with all people

understand  poetry, and yet understand math.

seek peaceful solutions

fatique slowly understress

this part of the brain is called the upper--mammalian as in breast fed

there is a lower part of the brain called the "SERPENT BRAIN"

leave it to fend for it self young, never hug it, never tell it it is pricless, or holy

feed it crap, never make it read, expose it to violence, fear and cold

and no will ever have to explain why it's called the serpent brain, it will be around to make sure you never forget.

FACT

MRI a deeply loved and home mothered childs brain in adulthood and you will find high synaptic electrical activity in the peace/art/beauty making upper mammilion about 80 percent of the time

MRI a child who was abused only verbally, not loved and not made to feel secure, and what will look like "puncherless Head injury"

brusing will show on the brain in the mri, as well as low seratonian levels, almost no dopamine ECT. 90 percent of the time.

nature vs nuture, is not the question

but the facts are...... ""Our physical nature demands Nuture"" or you get just what we got out there, a zoo.

want more on this google the "the 3 brains"

:bubbles:

Edited by jimbotoo, 14 August 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#14 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

You must nuture nature in order for it to survive. :)

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users