Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 File Permissions of Executed File

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

Hello.

This is not directly related to programming, but bugs the heck out of me when I'm trying to program :thumbsup: .

Ever since I've gotten my Windows 7, I've noticed that after a file is run, it becomes unwritable for some time.

For example, I create a batch file named hello.bat on my destkop using Notepad containing the following
ECHO Hello!
I run it. For about a minute after the file finishes running, I cannot edit the file. Trying to gives me the "In use by other process" message. The file is still deletable.

A similar thing happens when I compile C++ executables. After compiling and running, I cannot compile using the same name without recieving a file in use error. After trying to overwrite a file, that file becomes undeletable for about a minute, then disappears.

I can work around it by deleting the file after I run it, but it's tedious to do that.

Does anyone else have this problem?

With Regards,
The Panda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

I have not had that problem, but the issue has nothing to do with permissions. It has to do with resources being allocated by the OS, and then utilized and held by the OS until such a time that the OS can free those resources.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

I do not have that problem on Windows 7.

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hello.

Thank you. I'll go see what handles are on the file sometime.

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hello.

I finally figured it out. :lol:

It turns out that the Themes Service, when disabled, creates some random permission issues. After re-enabling Themes, everything is working as it should normally.

I guess there aren't many people who prefer the old XP look.

With Regards,
The Panda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users