Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq n620c not turning on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hello,

A few days ago I was concerned how I was only getting 2 hours of battery life compared to the 3:50 hours stated by compaq, so i clicked calibrate battery.
Then I started playing counterstrike and my laptop froze for no reason, so i turned it off by holding the power button.
------->When pressed the power button again the laptop failed to turn on. The fan didn't even turn on and all I could hear was a faint high-pitched hum.

Some extra information:
-all three of the green lights on the top left corner turn on and stay on
-one of the four lights on the bottom left corner blinked orange continously
-the flashing orange light had a symbol of a battery with an arrow pointing at it
-I took the battery out, pressed a little button on the battery, and the power bar (also on the battery) shows a single pip

I can post a picture on request.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by INeedHelp123, 25 October 2010 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

would you go a little more into specifics, where is this battery calibration option? Im not familiar with this-according to HP website, to calibrate the battery you are supposed to fully charge the battery, turn all power settings to max power, unplug the cord, and then run off battery until it is 100% drained-the HP/compaq website has nothing in there about a button used to calibrate it. What OS are you using? Im going through compaqs support pages for it here have you tried pressing both the standby and power buttons together? the guide suggests that this may reset the power.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 INeedHelp123

INeedHelp123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hello,

I looked at the manual, and it says that if the second light is flashing:
-AC is not plugged in
-battery is extremely low

which doesn't make sense because:
-the battery is now full (it must have charged overnight)
-AC is plugged in

Btw i am aware of the calibrate method you discussed but i thought it would be easier to press the calibrate battery button i found in the compaq power management menu (where i also found power scheme and hibernation options)

thank you

Edited by INeedHelp123, 26 October 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

Could be because of a defective battery or power cable. Try removing the battery and blowing out any dust in the conections, check that the power cord is fully plugged in with no kinks or dirt in it and isnt getting extra hot. Does the power cable have a light on the PSU unit (square box thingy on the cable) by any chance to indicate whether it works or not?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users