Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cloud13

Cloud13

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Earlier today I had my laptop connected to some speakers with a male to male jack, and everything was going fine. I unplugged that cable (no music was playing at this point, so I don't know if the problem started then or not) and put it into sleep mode. Later I woke it back up, and suddenly there no was sound. I checked the Device Manager, and the sound systems supposed are working properly, nothing's muted. I plugged a pair of headphones in, adjusted the system volume and could only hear the faintest sound when I maxed it out. Also, the little bubble, "You have plugged a device into the audio output jack" didn't pop up when I put the headphones in or out.

Actually, I just double checked the headphones, and they seem to be working decently. They are some old cheap ones, which is probably why they didn't seem to work at first. I have to find my good ones, I suppose.

What seems to be the issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Go into device manager, delete the audio devices, and reboot. Hopefully it'll redetect everything. If not, you'll want to go to computer make (HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc ) web site and download and install the drivers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

#3 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

I did those steps, no effect.

Now I've plugged back into external speakers and it's working.

So I guess either my laptop speakers are blown, or it's not recognizing that the headphones have been removed.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/D7QgNoWnWRu0TwQAa757c3K

There ya go.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

It says you have 2 audio controllers an nVidia and a Realtek one.

#7 Cloud13

Cloud13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I'm pretty sure it's always been like that.

#8 Angbblue

Angbblue

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. I would lose my sound, would have to do a system restore point (revert back a few weeks), sound would work for one day, then gone. Then one day out of nowhere that I knew about, my Windows Vista delivers me a pop up informing me I need to update my sound card drivers. Never lost my sound again. Do you know how to update your drivers in your Control Panel, Device Manager?

sig_zpssbt5rtdf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users