Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 daman22

daman22

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

OK, gonna try to make this as little confusing as possible.
I had 3 drives in my computer: C:-OS, programs and music,
F:-secondary, lotta programs, music, etc.
E:-only 8 gigs, hooked it up a while back when 1 of my old drives went out.

so i came home one day, my pc was froze on desktop, it wouldnt boot back up, i got the blue screen, which showed for liek 1 seconds, then kept restarting. I did manage to get it back on a few times, as I am now, with only the OS drive, sometimes, with the 8 gig. but with the F drive, that cause the blue screen. i did change auto restart off since i got back on this time.

im not sure if this cause it, but i was planning on using the 8 gb drive as liek a dedicated burning HD for the files, etc I used. it had a pagefile.sys file on it, but i formated the drive, and this is another thread, but i accidently formatted to fat32, but need ntfs for large files. but the C drive also has a pagefile.sys on it as well. the F didnt if i remember correctly, so maybe the pagefile On E was for the F? i read the blue screen could be a RAM issue. which pagefiles act as RAM.

anyways, we had another pc with a bad mobo or something, has a short in it somewhere or something. SO i took the hard drive form that, the only HD on that PC so I know its the OS drive. the computer boots, but stays at the press f1 to continue, f2 for setup page, nothing happens but beeps when i press either.with the 120GB and my F drive I get blue screen. Same with C drive.some cases it was just the balck screen, with the few blinking white dots/periods at the top left of screen. i checked my old PCs for ram sticks, but they are different and dont fit.

I just increased my pagefile.sys, but only my C:OS drive is connected right now, so not sure if that'll help.

So really, not sure if my HD(s) are going bad, or its a RAM/pagefile issue. when it first booted it was real sluggish, but seems to be fine now after i increased the paefile. i might try again with the F, or the 120, i just hope i can get back on again.
i increased from 768 to 1200, and max to 1700. what sohuld it be? i have 18 gigs free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daman22

daman22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

update: got the F and C drive in right now, so if i get the 8 gig working as well, can i reformat the 8gig to ntfs?

edit: with teh 8gb also connected, i get blue screen. I had teh c drive/OS as master, F as slave to the DVD drive, and the 8gb as slave to C drive, didnt work. so I tried unplugging the 8gb, left C and F the same, blue screen. so i guess i cant hook anything up as slave the the dvd-rom anymore? thats how it was before tho....

also, computers being sluggish agin...

Edited by daman22, 25 October 2010 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users