Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux distro?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Goodspeed

Goodspeed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

I have a Dell XPS 1730 laptop running Vista.

Am fed up of Windows but have to keep up with it cause of my professional needs.

So I have Windows running on my desktop & plan installing some Linux platform like Ubuntu,Zorin, LinuxMint, Netrunner2?

Once tried Ubuntu8, initially had difficulty understanding & than with utility softwares/messengers, caming softwares & drivers etc.

But now things must have improved.

To sum it up in a nut shell which flavor of Linux, which would you experienced members recommend, keeping in mind that I have bearded windows for 18 yrs & would like something that is a bit user friendly & less of a headache at the same time.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

About 2 weeks ago I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a 5 year old Dell Desktop. New HDD. New video card.
Played with it for 3 days before giving it to my 10 year old grandniece. I could not find any problems/ glitches
and she hasn't contacted me with any. Happily doing her thing on her first computer.

Best to run it as a live CD before installing to be sure it recognizes your hardware and peripherals.
Check to make sure you have a compatible printer. Some do not have Linux drivers and are extremely difficult to install.

EDIT: just wanted to add to be sure to read all the info in the link below before resizing
the partition your Vista is on if you plan to do a dual boot install.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions

Edited by buddy215, 25 October 2010 - 02:43 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:37 PM

Another really good Linux distro that can be downloaded and run as a live CD is PCLinuxOS
It is one of the easy ones to migrate over from Windows with.
It is a rolling release - which means not having to reinstall every 6 months.

More info for PCLinuxOS here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180

It comes as a KDE-Gnome-LXDE-XFCE and also has mini versions

It can be downloaded from here : http://pclosusers.com/isos/livecd/

On windows I would recommend InfraRecorder to burn to CD.....Download from here: http://infrarecorder.com/download/

Easeus is a free and very easy to use partitioning tool that is free .......Download from here: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

I have tried 3 linux versions, Mint is the best for audio according to audioasylum inmates. Research the distro's and act accordingly.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Ubuntu would be a good start. Do evaluate the latest version from their website.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 Hoothoot

Hoothoot

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

I don't think Ubuntu, in my opinion it is slow as for Linux.
I would recommend Fedora. It has GNOME like Ubuntu does and it's good for new users.

#7 maladmin

maladmin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ubuntu is probably best for immediate productivity. Slackware is awesome for learning but the learning curve is steep and long.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Pick a few from The Live Linux CD List and try them out for your own. We can only advice you based upon our own experience and user level knowledge.

#9 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

I like Ubuntu 10.10. 10.04 and 9.10 all had problem installing on my system with weird errors, but my install of 10.10 went smoothly and system boots very quickly. I run an old dell dimension 3550 at home and love it, At work I have a Dimension E520 set to dual boot xp pro and 10.04lts the only problem i've had with that was with closed source graphics drivers not working correctly. I've run a little linux mint on live cd and just didn't care for the ui, but it mostly comes down to personal pref.

-bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Another really good Linux distro that can be downloaded and run as a live CD is PCLinuxOS
It is one of the easy ones to migrate over from Windows with.
It is a rolling release - which means not having to reinstall every 6 months.

More info for PCLinuxOS here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180

It comes as a KDE-Gnome-LXDE-XFCE and also has mini versions

It can be downloaded from here : http://pclosusers.com/isos/livecd/

+1 i've used PCLOS for several years now and am very satisfied
with this distro. It just works.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 pspuria81

pspuria81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

i like and use Suse 11
im running SLES 11.1 as a webserver the open source version is very good as well
:D

cheers!

www.theinformativemonkey.tk

Cheers! :D

IT Guru

Homepage

#12 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for sharing are your experienced views.

I want to dual boot a windows..... (XP/Vista or 7)with Linux Mint 9 KDE.But my note book's HDD is only 100 GB.

Would you care to guide me how many partitions to create, sizes & file systems.

Regards!

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

I would run mint on live cd first. I tried it and it was incompatible with my hardware.

#14 Gringoyle

Gringoyle

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

What about Debian?
Isn't it the most hardware compatible and sure to work Linux dist?

I also was told to start with Ubunutu to learn but spent more time trying to get it to run on my test computers and servers.
Where as Debian has never failed.
How ever it is much more complex or just more configurable, but I would not say that it isn't user friendly like some say.
If you want to learn linux why not use one with no limits I guess.
Well I don't know, I am still learning my self and have been using a site that has really helped me.
It's full of How-to's and Step-by-Step Tutorials for setting up dual boots or configuring HDD partitions and a lot more too.
http://www.aboutdebian.com/

Edited by Gringoyle, 31 October 2010 - 03:01 PM.

#15 Goodspeed

Goodspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

1. I have Linux Mint 9 KDE installed with all it's updates. It lay out is nice ( wouldn't disagree with that) but seems more bloated & slow than even XP,Vista or W7 Ult on the same machine's hardware........is it cause of FF ver 3.6.12 browser or should I try it with G Chrome.......Is there a way like msconfig or task manger to see why Mint is slow.........too many processes running in the back ground?
?

2. I get connected via Ethernet but not wireless........any command etc........msn keeps disconnecting in Koepte?

3. How can I check for my machine's web cam , Logitech Quick cam Pro 9000 & other hardware?

4. Should I switch to Ubuntu 10.10.......I know the layout wont be as great?

5. I plan a dual install of windows & a Linux distro......should the distro be with in widows or installed separately........if separately than what should be the number of partitions for a Linux distro whether Ubuntu or Linux Mint9 KDE, there approx size & file systems?

Hoping to hear your experienced views,

Regards!

Edited by Goodspeed, 31 October 2010 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users